Carlos Alberto Privitera | Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy-CODEX | Peliculas en cartelera
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Thanks, Marv!

2. Dolly8

Dolly8 Stunt Coordinator

Sherri

criblecoblis likes this.
  3. Dolly8

Dolly8 Stunt Coordinator

Sherri

Hope Criblecoblis & Rustifier continue on the mend

. Congratulations to everyone for making it to page 100!!!!!!

Great caps(captures) ! I always liked all of the caps!!! Wish I could do them. I don't have a dvd-recorder:

I haven't gone back to look at this episode today. What I remember is Phillip Carey in" Violence For Your Furs" talking to Suzanne, then going into Jeff Spencer's office & remarking to Jeff about his girl's choice of reading material. To which Jeff replied: "She's an intellectual.." I laughed at how he handled him. (All I saw was the name of the Magazine, "Intimate"(not "the Girl On the Run" part..) I thought "Intimate" contained romantic stories. I should pay more attention to the exact dates when the episodes originally aired. I never thought about what was actually happening during that date. I think many of 77 Sunset Strip themes are as good today in our times as they were back then. Insurance fraud, robberies, divorces, disadvantaged urban youth problems, teenagers not being heard by adults, espionage, drugs, alcohol, gambling, kidnapping, murder, counterfeiting, runaways, etc. For the last several years, the women's fashions that are currently in are from the 1950's.

Flashgear, Mysto, Rustifer and 2 others like this.
  4. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    I'm surprised they didn't crash the site! I'll have to do more caps in my posts, when I return to the land of the living. A real tour de force, Randall!

Flashgear, Gary16 and Rustifer like this.
  5. Rustifer

Rustifer Supporting Actor

Russ
    77 sunset strip.JPG

Speaking of screen caps, I think this is my favorite one of all. I couldn't say how many times I've paused on this particular scene during the episodes in which it appeared--and sadly sigh in wishing it was still there just as it was then. Better yet, me actually being there in, say, 1960--walking to Dino's to meet up with some friends and to enjoy a few cocktails and maybe lucking into this very night of the location being filmed. If only.

Life can tell tales as strange as those we make up.

6. Message #2026 of 2053 Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    Episode Commentary

So now here's an unusual occurrence in the Rustifer tried-and-true schedule. I woke up this morning, had breakfast and decided to watch a 77 SS episode. In the morning. This, of course, precludes my usual martini accompaniment as I have yet to stoop to alcohol before noon. It might someday become a goal, but for now I try to keep a sober mind at least for a portion of the day.

The theme of "Big Boy Blue" (S4Ep7) matches its appeal: It blows. No, I'm not going to sugarcoat it--this is truly one of my least favorite episodes. Tom Gardiner (Jerry Paris) and his assistant Lorna Day (Maureen Leeds) are tooling around Mexico looking for some talent to represent in their music agency. Stuck in a backwater town, they suddenly hear a trumpet sweetly wailing from nearby. If luck is the residue of endeavor, Tom and Lorna waste no time tracking down its location. Buddy Blue (Biff Elliot), in jail for having bought rounds of drinks at the cantina with no means to pay, is the talented holder of the horn.

upload_2018-10-1_13-58-30. upload_2018-10-1_13-59-45. upload_2018-10-1_14-0-44. upload_2018-10-1_14-2-53.
    Jerry Paris, Maureen Leeds, Biff Elliot, Barry Russo

In the blink of a gnat's eyelash, Buddy is bailed out and whisked to Los Angeles and becomes the newest sensation to be represented by Tom Gardiner. Opening night is Tuesday at the Treble Clef--a club that looks as if it seats about 20 people with a stage the size of an Airstream's dinette. WB spared no expense on the set.
    Before anything is signed, Tom wants a guarantee that Buddy is not some notorious lowlife and hires Jeff Spencer to do a background check. Nothing scurrilous turns up on the trumpeter, but Buddy is somehow reluctant about fame and fortune barreling his way. And rightly so, as he double crossed one Lee Santly (Barry Russo) by leaving him in the lurch during a holdup ten years ago. Lee has sworn revenge.

To keep Buddy from the fidgets, Tom sics Lorna on the poor boy to "keep him occupied". I think we know what that means. Although Buddy seems barely bright enough to operate an umbrella, he does recognize oozing sexuality when it gets tossed his way. Unfortunately, this plan heads towards the rear end of nowhere. Tom gets jealous, Lee finds Buddy, Lorna gets jilted and someone gets shot. The whole thing unravels like a busted loom spindle.

Written by Dean Riesner (aka child actor Dinky Dean from the 20's), the script is a pretty thin broth. I can hardly believe he wrote several episodes of Rich Man, Poor Man later on. He must've eventually absorbed some improved writing tips. Biff Elliot acts like he's at his first audition, and I kept expecting Millie Helper to suddenly emerge yelling at Jerry Paris for infidelity. Now I know why I don't watch these things in the morning. Some of them desperately need a martini accompaniment.

NOTE: A poolside scene at Tom's hotel (Beverly Gardens, which is actually a park in real life) is the exact set used in Hawaiian Eye's office layout. Also, the bar (Golden Galleon) that Jeff searches for Lee Santly is the same set as used in the "Luck of Leckonby".

7. Rustifer

Russ
    TIDBIT

upload_2018-10-1_14-55-50.

Biff Elliot started out as a prize fighter. From his biography:

When he was 16, Biff's family moved to Presque Isle, an industrial town near the Canadian border. On his first day in town, he wandered into a tavern by mistake, thinking it was a restaurant. Two local drunks were hanging on the bar and promptly ordered Biff out. When he failed to move, they started swinging. Biff pushed one and he fell to the floor. He repeated on the second, with the same result.

"They were so drunk, they just couldn't stand up", he remembers. "But the upshot was that, within a matter of minutes, the word has spread through town that a tough kid had just moved in. And they put me up to fight in the Golden Gloves."

Under the name of Biff Harris (he didn't want his mother to know about his fighting), he entered the local Golden Gloves competition in the 126-pound class. The bout was in an empty airplane hanger outside Presque Isle and Biff went into the ring wearing swimming trunks and a pair of 98-cent sneakers. There were two fights the first night. Biff won the first by a first-round technical knockout and the second by a decision. He went on to become North Maine champion and fought his way to the New England regional championship. Biff was about to move on to New York when his mother learned about his fighting and cancelled any further bouts.

8. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Hi, y'all. Off all the evil medicines now, and waiting for my liver to expel the last of them. It's going to take a while to restore the neural pathways from my conscious self to the place where the writing occurs. Until then, I hope you won't mind if I just kinda type stuff.

Looking back on my last posted viewer's guide, "The Kookie Caper," I am reminded that I put a few things intended to spur discussion. No one took the bait. But there was one glaring thing that I must mention.

Did anyone notice that at the end, when I put the photo of the old and new buildings cheek-by-jowl, I called the new building the "Alice B. Toklas Criminal Service Center"? Well, I was just funnin' you, and I feel ethically bound to correct the record.

For many years, the building was known simply as the Criminal Courts Building. In 2002, however, it was re-named the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center. With no disrespect intended to Ms. Foltz (and she certainly deserves our respect), when I first heard the name it struck me as so absurd that, without active thought, I blurted out the other name, the Toklas one.

I then laughed at my own joke for about a half-hour. I can always make myself laugh. But no one else did, except my oldest brother, who got it immediately.

Lutz Koch, Flashgear, Gary16 and 2 others like this.
  9. Message #2029 of 2053 Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    Rob, ol' buddy! Good to see you stringing together lucid thoughts again!
    I'm sorry I spaced the witticisms from your last viewer's guide. Usually I'm fairly adept at picking up and commenting on such things, but I too was suffering a bit from some neural lapses brought on by foul medications. More like witch's potions. I was finally able to grind out a commentary ("Big Boy Blue") a couple days ago--but I think I was singing to a mostly absent audience. Probably not one of my better efforts. Hopefully your return will revitalize our venue. Randall has done a yeoman's job of picking up the slack in the meantime--which we hope he continues.

I have a truckload of stored up 77 SS episodes that I need to get at, but a man can consume only so many martinis. Indeed, I've found that mixing vodka with meds is a surefire way for me to inadvertently examine our carpeting from a very closeup point of view. My wife warily follows me around now with 911 securely notched on her speed dial.

My best to Clara Shortridge Foltz, who I'm betting was a paragon of rectitude to have an entire criminal justice center named after her.

Flashgear, Gary16 and Mysto like this.
  10. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    I read that and enjoyed it. I especially liked the tidbit about Biff Elliot.

I hope you're feeling better, and are past your health issue.

Gary16, Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  11. Rustifer

Russ
    Yep doing just fine now, thanks. Upright and functioning normally--just needed some minor adjustments.
    Being a 15 year cancer survivor, my psyche trajectory has wandered from just south of the moon to barely north of hell at various times.
    Result: Not much intimidates me anymore.

Flashgear, Gary16 and Mysto like this.
  12. Mysto

Mysto Second Unit

marv long
    Living in a retirement city we are used to the battles of age - they are all around us (and in us). Attitude, a sense of humor and wine/martinis/margaritas all help.
    Stay upright - we enjoy having you around.

Flashgear, Rustifer and Gary16 like this.
  13. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    I am so happy that you're such a successful survivor! And I'm afraid that at the start of this heart thing I was on the opposite end of the scale. I'm afraid I'm still working to put my own situation into its proper perspective. My problem is that they told me I'd be "as good as new four weeks after the operation."

The stinkers lied, and it took me until this past week to figure it out. Now, I know that I will be good as new, in due time. And that's awesome.

Gary16, Rustifer and Flashgear like this.
  14. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Watching S2E18 "Ten Cents A Death." Noticed a few small fourth-wall breaches.

First, when Stu is summoned back from a dalliance in Palm Springs to fish Roscoe out of stir, he goes to Gil, who calls down to the lockup and asks for (I'm paraphrasing a bit) "Roscoe. . . just Roscoe." That is a reference to the fact that they NEVER gave Roscoe's last name.

And then, later, when Stu reveals himself to Herky, he says, "I'll do anything for money." The name of the first pilot was "Anything for Money."

Gary16, Rustifer and Flashgear like this.
  15. Mysto

Mysto Second Unit

marv long
    Just remember Doctors always are guessing - True a good Dr.s guess is better that ours but we are all different. We respond differently.
    We'll take "good as new in time" as a big win. Good thoughts going your way from our neck of the woods.

Flashgear and Rustifer like this.
  16. Message #2036 of 2053 Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    Good job of pulling us back on track, Rob--instead of us continuing to bore everyone else with our various ailments.

I always thought that "breaking the fourth wall" meant when an actor addresses the audience directly. Roger Smith does this in the "Hong Kong Caper" when he spots a rickshaw driver who's an exact Asian clone of Kookie. Roger looks directly into the camera with wide questioning eyes. I believe there's a few more examples in other episodes, but they don't immediately come to mind. Gary can probably tap into some.

It's going to be a rainy day here in Indy, so I'm sure I'll be inspired to delve into my cache of 77 SS episodes and scare up another commentary. I've done so many already that I suspect I'm beginning to repeat some of them.

[​IMG]

Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  17. Message #2037 of 2053 Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    And Yet Another Episode Commentary

What can I say? I've had a spurt of energy to extract the marrow from another 77 SS episode. I know for a fact that I write these things more for my own enjoyment simply as a means to nestle myself in a blanket of nostalgia. And, quite possibly, to give myself an excuse to mix up a batch of perfect straight up martinis--not that excuses are needed for that activity. Since I still know where my pants are located and that I understand which leg is which convinces me that perhaps writing staves off any early symptoms of dementia. Sometimes I lose track of my socks, though.

I'm not sure why "Walk Among Tigers" (S5Ep28) is titled as such. As far as I remember, no wildlife is evident in the story. But I'll accept it because the scriptwriter probably had a reason and didn't much care what I thought.
    Famous industrialist and humanitarian Harold Payton Adams (really famous folks need all three parts of their names for identity) is unfortunately killed in a tragic train accident. The headlines are prominent on the newspaper's front page. I often freeze frame the page so as to read the obscure accompanying article bylines that tout such additional news as "Housewife Finds Anaconda in Washing Machine Lint Trap" or Volunteer Committee Selected to Choose Colors for Traffic Cones". Well, maybe I embellished those a wee bit.

Stu Bailey is hired not only by the train line's insurance company, but also by the estate of the late Mr. Adams. The mystery evolves over his recovered briefcase that contains $112,000 cash and a cryptic list of names. No one knows where the contents came from or for what use Adams had planned for it. After meeting with the industrialist's widow as well as his partner Endicott Fellows (Allan Jones)--who has the social disposition of a radish, the mystery deepens. Even they don't know why.

[​IMG] upload_2018-10-6_18-34-36. upload_2018-10-6_18-35-48.
    Allan Jones, Kaye Elhardt, Warren Stevens

It's up to Stu to trace Adam's train trip's itinerary for answers. Before he can even begin his journey, he is accosted by the lovely Marsha Emerson (Kaye Elhardt), who brandishes a shiny silver-plated pistol and has her accomplice Smits (Warren Stevens) whack Stu on the noggin and steal the briefcase. Indignant over such abuse, Stu is determined to find answers. His trail takes him to several airbases of which the late Mr. Adams had provided highly sensitive military devices. Unexplained fires have occurred at each base. Coincidence? We don't think so. Along Stu's route are several attempts to dissuade his investigation. None of them are polite. One attempt requires Stu to shoot a large Cadillac sedan dead, as well as the bad guys inside.

As it turns out, beloved patriot and humanitarian Harold Payton Adams is actually an undercover commie pinko who has systematically been trying to undermine our country's military for years with the help of Smits, Marsh and Endicott. If you haven't seen the episode, rest assured that I just spoiled it for you. My bad.

Written by Paul Savage (Murder, She Wrote, Dukes of Hazard, Streets of San Francisco) and directed by Richard Sparr, this story has some meaty elements to chew on, even though somewhat dated with its Cold War background.

NOTES: I've mentioned this before--I'm still amazed that so many episodes with car chases take place on unpaved streets. I'm pretty sure that by 1960, tar had been invented in Los Angeles.
    As Rob has pointed out in the past, bad guys seem to favor a certain black Cadillac. It appears in this episode as well.

18. criblecoblis

criblecoblis Second Unit
    Supporter

Rob Spencer
    Yeah, I'm still struggling for words. I couldn't find the words for precisely what I meant, so I fudged it by using the word "breach" instead of "break." I just meant that the two instances I cited were--wow, still can't find the words. The two references were kinda inside, I guess you could say.

Gary16 and Flashgear like this.
  19. Rustifer

Russ
    Got it. I knew what you meant.

20. Message #2040 of 2053 Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Rustifer

Russ
    A Bit 'O Nostalgia

You guys remember Jujubes? It was a favorite old timey candy usually procured at movie theaters. Little tiny fruit-flavored pellets that were better suited as air rifle ammo than chewable treats. The process dictated that one suck the candy to extract flavor, as chewing generally resulted in a semi-permanent tooth filling for a few days.
    I went to a movie last night and actually found Jujubes on display in the candy counter. I still have three quarters of the box left, since I mostly favored my wife's popcorn more than the candy.

[​IMG]

Note: Getting way off topic here, we saw "A Star Is Born" last night. If you haven't yet seen the movie, at least YouTube the song "Shallow", a duet sung by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. If it doesn't give you goosebumps, you're most likely not alive.

We haven't had any posts for a couple of days, so I'm just trying to scare up some discussion.

Gary16, Mysto and Flashgear like this.