1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon offers Trade Up Program for Fire TV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Todd Erwin, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Message #21 of 37 Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The Fire TV is no longer being discounted for Prime members, so the trade in no longer is the great $12 deal. I received my promotional credit yesterday and discovered the Fire TV 4K is now $70 before applying the $25 promo discount. At that price, I'll pass and buy the new Roku Premiere for $40.

So I ended up sending in an old Roku 2 for a $3 trade in credit. Not a big deal because the Roku was obsolete and we were no longer using it, plus I had decided the Fire TV wouldn't work well for us. Still, it sucks that they jumped up the price on the Fire TV in the middle of this promotion for anyone who really wanted to take advantage of it.

2. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I think what happened is the promotion was too popular, as the Fire TV 4K is now out of stock until 10/14.

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    I looked at the Tivo's today, but I'm not really interested in adding another monthly service fee when I'm trying to cut back.

4. Scott Merryfield

Hopefully that's the case. The promotion is good until sometime in February, so if the price drops again I may pick one up on the cheap just to try it out. I think I have one remaining available HDMI input on my Denon receiver, but will need to verify that. If not, I really will not have anywhere to try the player, as I need either the Vudu or Xfinity app everywhere else.

5. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    It actually appears that $39.99 Prime Member price may have been a clearance price, as the trade-in offer now points to the new Fire TV 4K Stick, selling for $49.99 ($22 after trade-in).

6. JQuintana

JQuintana Supporting Actor

Johnny
  7. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
  8. JQuintana

Johnny
    The Roamio already comes with lifetime subscription. No other options.

http://www.tivo.com/shop/buy-roamio-ota-dvr

All-In
    Service Plan

Your Roamio OTA VOX purchase includes TiVo service for the lifetime of your device-no additional fees, ever. TiVo service fuels exclusive features like SkipMode®, QuickMode® and OnePassTM.

9. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    That's right, I forgot Tivo changed that when they re-introduced their OTA model.

10. JQuintana

Johnny
    Been a life saver at our house of cord cutters.

11. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Their new OTA box doesn't according to the reviews I've read and it requires the service.

12. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip
    The advantage of Netflix is that either the movie is available or it isn't. With Amazon, it might show up in the menu, but you don't know if it's part of the Prime package until you click through. They used to put the Prime banner on those movies and shows, but phased that out over the last year or so.

13. Scott Merryfield

Amazon's Prime Video interface needs a complete face-lift - - it's terrible. Trying to find 4K content is a PITA.

Todd Erwin and Robert Crawford like this.
  14. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I do not understand why Amazon segregates its 4k content the way that it does. If I want to watch "Jack Ryan" in 4k, I shouldn't have to hunt down the 4k version, it should either automatically give me the best resolution based on my internet speed and adjust accordingly as that speed fluctuates, or let me choose from the title's menu page.

15. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Well, Amazon pulled a switcheroo on this offer, just days after it launched.

As soon as the new Fire TV Stick 4K was announced, the trade-in offer was changed, removing the older Fire TV 4K and replacing it with the Stick. However, those who initiated a trade-in prior to that announcement was only eligible for the $25 off the Fire TV 4K or $35 off the Fire Cube, even though the price was increased to $69.99 on the Fire TV 4K.

When I received confirmation that Amazon had received my Chromecast for trade, I tried to purchase the Fire Stick - no reduction in price when checking out. But, if I placed the older Fire TV 4K in my cart, I received the $25 discount, but off the full $69.99 price. After a lengthy phone call, Amazon issued additional credits to the price on the Fire TV 4K, bringing my total cost to $12 before tax.

So, my Fire TV 4K arrived yesterday, and I installed it this morning. Firmware has been updated. I play Jack Ryan [Ultra HD] and .... all I get is Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio. Amazon Support is no help, they keep telling me to select Dolby Atmos from the options menu. I tell them there is no Atmos from the on-screen options menu (when pressing the "hamburger" button). They then tell me that I need to select Atmos from the Device Settings menu. All I see are options for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, or Stereo.

@Scott Merryfield - you were complaining about buggy software on your Roku? Good thing you didn't go with the Fire TV trade-in.

16. Scott Merryfield

Sounds like a fiasco, Todd. Luckily, the Fire trade-in didn't work out for me. I received my new 4K Roku Premiere that I bought instead, and it's been working fine since I got it a week ago. And, knock on wood, my 2016 Ultra model that has been plagued by firmware bugs over the past 1.5 years has actually been stable for a few months. Of course, with Roku's track record with this device, the next firmware update issued could send it back into "bug hell".

Good luck with your new Fire TV 4K. Hopefully Amazon fixes their issues. It seems like the 4K device landscape is filled with land mines to navigate with so many unstable products.

17. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I'm returning this. Apparently it is a "known issue" when connecting a Fire TV to an AVR, and they have been working on it since they launched Atmos back in early September. Unbelievable!