Goldtaucher der Beringsee (18) | Vista Cursors on Windows XP | Adobe Reader
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone gone mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Sam Posten, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Hmm...a bit undecided right now. By the time I pay off the Sony a7, maybe I'll be ready to get the EOS R. But I should probably upgrade my 2009 iMac first. :D

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    "I don't need to know anything because MY camera has this button."

That was directed to the conversation about the guy at Acadia.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Normally, I am the same way if someone approaches me and asks a question about my gear -- I am happy to chat with almost anyone when I'm out shooting, and do quite often. I've had some very enlightening conversations with some very nice people -- some that were beginners, and some that knew a lot more about photography than me. This guy, though, didn't seem interested in chatting -- only in claiming he had the best camera out there, without even understanding why someone would want to use a tripod. That's why my casual one sentence answer of "my lens has IS, too" and his confused look was so priceless.

I do not get too caught up in brand wars. All the camera brands are capable of producing extraordinary images in the right hands, or horrible images in the wrong hands. Ansel Adams could produce masterpieces with a pinhole camera, while my neighbor would produce horrible photos with the most expensive equipment on the market (it's painful when she shows me photos from their trips). It's the archer, not the arrow, that matters.

And thanks for the kind words. I really do appreciate it, Sam. :thumbsup:

ManW_TheUncool and Sam Posten like this.
  4. Scott Merryfield

Looking at some of those lens prices, I think I will be using my existing dSLRs and lenses for quite a while longer -- $2,300 for the 50mm f/1.2, $3,000 for the 28-70mm f/2, $200 for the EF to RF adapter with the control ring. The body alone isn't too bad for a new body at $2,300, as bodies drop in price a lot quicker than lenses.

If/when I make the leap, I would probably go for the 24-105 f/4 lens and not the 28-70 f/2. My current setup includes a 24-105 f/4, and I supplement that with a couple of fast primes instead of a f/2.8 zoom. That new 50 f/1.2 is too pricey for me, too, so I would probably just keep my current 50 f/1.2 and get the adapter for it and my other EF lenses (16-35mm f/4, 100-400mm, 105mm macro, 70-200 f/4, etc.).

5. Scott Merryfield

Sam Posten likes this.
  6. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    ...Robert Harris?

Scott Merryfield and Sam Posten like this.
  7. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Just say "RH" and you'll have covered your bases. :D

PMF and Sam Posten like this.
  8. Scott Merryfield

Oops, wrong Mr. Harris. :blush: Richard Harris would be even more tricky, since he passed away 16 years ago. ;)

PMF and Sam Posten like this.
  9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Buncha comedians around here...

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

So I finally checked up on the reviews for the EOS R and I mainly wanted to see how happy folks were with the AF and the various situation (native RF mount, with the mount adapter and EF/EF-S lenses, and 3rd party EF/EF-S mount lenses), and for the most part, folks were happy, while some 3rd party lenses, it's YMMV, which is to be expected.

But I just can't pull the trigger with the EOS R having just 1 card slot, so I'll wait for the next Canon offering and hope Canon doesn't jack up the price of the next mirrorless body for it to include dual card slots, and other fixes of the identified shortcomings of the EOS R.

11. Scott Merryfield

Dual card slots are not that big a deal to me, although I understand why professionals prefer bodies with the feature. Both my Canon 5D3 and 7D2 have dual slots, and I do have SD cards in the 2nd slot of each. However, I do not have the cameras configured to save to both cards -- the SD card is setup as overflow just in case I run out of room on the primary compact flash card while I'm out somewhere (which I never have). Writing to both cards slows the camera down too much for my taste.

I should probably just take out the SD cards to use as spares for my mirrorless M50, which has a single SD slot. I prefer compact flash cards for my dSLR, and I have quite a few extras. However, for most trips a single 64GB card in each dSLR is sufficient for the number of photos I take.

The only time I ever had a card fail was in my very first digital camera -- a Canon Powershot G series fixed lens body. It happened while we were in Hawaii. I removed the card immediately and set it aside. When we got back home, I was able to recover all the photos using a data recovery utility. The card probably would have been okay to re-use after a low level reformatting, but I threw it out just to be on the safe side.

12. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Yeah, I haven't utilized the dual slots much either. I actually had things set up as overflow, as well, but found it confusing when I forgot to put the card back into the camera and it was writing to the card that was considered the backup, then I'd realize later on that photos were on a different card or not on the card I thought. Most of this is my own user error, but my use hasn't really demanded that I sort myself out, so I just opted to shoot to one card. :D

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I've been using dual card slots since 2012, so I don't figure to stop shooting in the fashion anytime soon. I value redundancy. Probably had to do with traveling to places to take photos, and wanting that extra bit of backup provision for the photography activities. In my Canon 5D3's, I write my RAWs to the CF slot, and the JPG's to the SD slot.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The frustrating thing is that the Sony A7III has dual card slots, and IBIS, at a $300 less price point over the EOS R, along with better eye-detection and AF tracking. If the Sony native glass wasn't so expensive, and their colors not quite popping as I've been accustomed to with my Canon's, I'd probably jumped ship earlier this year, but I guess I'll wait for the next round of Canon mirrorless bodies to show up...

15. Scott Merryfield

I'm sure the new Canon body will drop a few hundred in price not too far down the road -- their new models usually do.