Download Now | James Arnold Taylor | Mr. Robot
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Booth Bijou Garage Theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark Booth, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

I've already watched 'The Greatest Showman' twice in our Booth Bijou living room theater (75" 4K screen). I could turn right around and watch it a 3rd time. It's the type of film a good home theater system is made for. When the crowd joins in the chorus our room is filled to the brim with beautiful toe-tapping music and the eyes are dazzled with a wondrous array of colors and textures. Eye AND ear candy!

We have 10 people on the waiting list for our showing on Saturday. So, we've decided to add a second (earlier) showing of 'The Greatest Showman' for our friends on the waiting list. I have to admit it is partially for selfish reasons, I want to see it twice in our Garage Theater myself! :)

This is the greatest show!

Mark

Jeff Flugel and KPmusmag like this.
  2. Bobofbone

Bobofbone Second Unit

Bob
    You've inspired me. I'll have to have a copy sent home to watch the next time I'm there.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Just wanted to chime in and voice my admiration for how you've brought the communal experience of the cinema to home theater, which can be a pretty solitary pursuit. And the effort you and your family put into programming for your theater really shows.

Jeff Flugel, KPmusmag and Mark Booth like this.
  4. Mark Booth

Supporter

Thank you, Adam, that is very kind of you.

The truth is, I do it for partly selfish reasons. I really enjoy the experience of seeing a film with other people. But, as we all know, that can be a somewhat risky proposition in public theaters these days. The more crowded the theater the more likely someone will sit in front of us that is too tall, or people that constantly talk, or people that check their phones every 5 minutes, etc.

For those reasons, my wife and I find ourselves going to public theaters in the early afternoon on a weekday when the crowds are pretty much nonexistent. But then we miss the fun of the crowd. The fun of lots of people laughing at the same funny part or jumping at the same time when startled by something scary. Enter the Booth Bijou.

Such behavior in the Booth Bijou could result in not being invited back. Fortunately, we've never had to do that. :)

Mark

5. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    I am having friends over Saturday for Shape of Water, which is cool, but I have a terrible time getting anyone interested in classic films. I wanted to do North by Northwest recently and the lack of enthusiasm from my friends was disappointing.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    you sound like a movie buff and your friends are not all the same maybe the effort isn't all inclusive. Cut them some slack. You are a wonderful person who is allowing people to enjoy movies for 0$. They are your friends but they don't have to like what you like. Enjoy the company when it is what it is. It is all good. So lighten up. Don't be disappointed. You are absolutely wonderful and your theater is kick ass.

7. Mark Booth

Supporter

So far, we've had very few film offerings that weren't strongly attended. We've shown several classic B&W films and they've drawn good crowds too.

Our first showing in April will be 'Misery' and 'Get Out'. That one might not be everyone's cup of tea. I have a feeling we'll have a light attendance for those two. We'll see.

Mark

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yeah...but what he charges for the popcorn and soda...! Whew!

:D

Bob Bielski likes this.
  9. Mark Booth

Supporter

Due to the complexities of satisfying everyone's preferences for beverages, our guests are asked to bring their own drinks in a small cooler that they keep with them in the theater. Trying to stock enough flavors that everyone could find something to enjoy is a quagmire we're not interested in entering. :)

Fresh popcorn is always free but our guests did insist on donating toward the cost of replacing our popcorn machine. It wasn't my idea but it was very much appreciated. I insisted on it being annoymous so we placed donation container on our dinning room table for several movie nights. One of our friends put a $100 bill in there. :eek:

Mark

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Told ya! THAT'S some expensive popcorn! :laugh:

Seriously, though, that's some generous friends you got there! Sounds like a great time/group!

Jeff Flugel and Mark Booth like this.
  11. Mark Booth

Supporter

I didn't start this topic until 2014 but we've been doing these movie nights since 2009 (when I retired). We average 2-3 a month so let's call it 2.5. That's 30 a year x 9 years = 270 movie nights. If the person that put the $100 in there is one of our regulars (attends most of the movie nights), which I suspect is the case, he/she has probably attended at least 240 of them.

100 / 240 = 41 cents per movie night.

I think that's some pretty cheap popcorn! :)

Mark

12. Mark Booth

Supporter

Our guests absolutely loved 'Coco' and 'The Greatest Showman'. Both films (and both showings of Showman) received healthy applause. One of our friends emailed me after to ask how I got my hands on 'The Greatest Showman'. After leaving our house she went straight to Walmart to buy the film and was surprised when they told her it wasn't coming out on Blu-ray until April 10. In reply, I reminded her that I played it via my Apple TV and that the version I had was the digital (streaming) version, which was released on March 20.

I did a little polling last night and it seems most of our friends aren't all that interested in seeing 'Misery' again. The hobbling scene in that film gives them the creeps (as does Kathy Bates character in general). So, in two weeks, we will be pairing 'The Thomas Crown Affair' (1999) with 'Get Out'. I sent out the invitation email about 30 minutes ago and half the spots are already taken.

Mark

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Huh. So it was Misery keeping them away(!) and not Get Out. Who knew?!? :D

Mark Booth and Jeff Flugel like this.
  14. Mark Booth

Supporter

We've got 18 guests for next weekend's showings of 'The Thomas Crown Affair' and 'Get Out'. We've heard back from just about everyone so it doesn't look like the theater will be completely full this time.

The following weekend we'll be showing 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' and one other film. I'm leaning toward showing 'Doc Hollywood' as the B-movie but I haven't made a final decision yet. Gotta decide by Sunday because that's when the invitation email will get sent.

Mark

15. Mark Booth

Supporter

Both 'The Thomas Crown Affair' and 'Get out' generated applause from our guests. :) It was fun to watch the friends seated in front of me jump in their chairs at the various "makes you jump" scenes in 'Get Out'! :)

This coming weekend is 'Doc Hollywood' and 'The Last Jedi'. We've got 16 guests signed up for these matinee showings. We're doing burgers on the grill afterward.

A week or two after that we'll be showing 'Molly's Game' with some other (yet to be determined) film.

Mark

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  16. Mark Booth

Supporter

We're showing 'Molly's Game' with 'The Post' today. Full house, err.. garage. :)

Mark

17. Mark Booth

Supporter

The Booth Bijou is closed while the back patio is being remodeled. Not to mention there's no way to get one of our cars out of the garage in the first place.

[​IMG]

Mark

18. Mark Booth

Supporter

The hardscape (retaining wall and pavers) were completed in the backyard in mid June. The new pergola got installed last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are with the Sunbrella sunshades (in the pergola) extended. Here's a before and after (with sunshades retracted).

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Now we need to hire a landscape architect and installers for a new planting plan on the hill and side yard planters.

We have full access to our garage again, but it's been too damn hot to consider firing up the Booth Bijou Garage Theater. Hot as in, with humidity too. No thanks!

We'll probably end up waiting until September to get the Booth Bijou going again. We'll see.

Mark

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Looks GREAT!! Love those pavers, Mark. And my wife has always wanted a pergola.

Mark Booth likes this.
  20. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    I love the the way it looks. Your friends may end up staying around long after the final curtain. Burgers and beverages, wonderful job. Can't wait to see the landscaping upgrade.

Mark Booth likes this.