1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Building A Home Theater? Start Here.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian Dobbs, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Hey Brian

I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out the best way to treat my room to get better sound. I have been reading about reflections and applying absorption panels to tame them. I bumped into a site that was saying the wrong absorption can act like an equalizer, by absorbing select frequencies more than others. The site stated that it throws off the frequency balance from the initial signal so the reflection changes the sound. Seamed like a dilemma. The site also said using diffusion correctly maintains the original frequency balance and energy level or loudness but spreads out the reflections so they don't beam right to the ears and create a nice non localized reverberation. I just found a company that builds tube traps and they are very scientific about how to get better sound. I am going to post the link, it is a good read on room gain, decay rates and modes. I think they really have the treatment thing down. Hope this helps all to better understand how to use treatments to get better sounding rooms.
    http://www.acousticsciences.com/high-end-audio/bass-traps

2. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    Hey Bob. I couldn't get the link to load.

3. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Sorry Brian
    I will work on it Saturday morning.
    Will post a few pics of downstairs apartment, using Roxul safe and sound inside walls and ceilings and R23 Rockwool for outside walls. Getting more and more quiet. The link goes to the finest treatment company I have found so far. Been researching for a long time, this is the real deal.

4. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
  5. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    Yes, thank you. It works. I've added it to my original post.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  6. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    This one is also good to add.
    http://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm
    Thank you Brian for such a treasure trove of information, any one building a home theater can use your posts as a complete guide.
    I took the cheaper way out to improve the STC in my first floor apt. I used ROXUL Safe and Sound in all the inside walls and the ceiling, and applied sound board on the ceiling before the sheetrock. Not as good as resilient channel or decoupling the walls but less expensive and better than without.
    My favorite magazine of late Widescreen Review has morphed into a theater design magazine as well as equipment and movie review.
    Room acoustics will be much less of a mystery and the common man will be able to improve the listening room without hiring professionals.
    Here is a few pics of the insulation.
    I will post some pics of the sound board soon I have to load them onto the computer from my phone first.
    I chose this insulation because of the dual benefit with the fire proof characteristics as well as the sound dampening. It is also easy to work with. If you can read a ruler you are all set. I also watched videos on You Tube to make cut outs for the electric wires and light fixtures.
    I hope this information helps everyone.
    And I wanted to include that the little boombox I was listening to while doing the work sounded clearer when all the insulation was exposed.
    I wish I was stronger so I could lug all my big speakers and amps downstairs to experiment, it would have been real interesting to hear the difference with all the absorption of the reflections.
    Once again thank you Brian for all the information, it helped me a great deal.

Attached Files:

7. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    This is a picture of the sound board underneath the sheetrock. I was first going to use Quiet Rock but the sound board is much less expensive and the STC factor isn't much less after the sheetrock is added.

Attached Files:

8. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    You are most welcome sir. I am very happy you have been able to put the information to good use! Photos look great!

Bob Bielski likes this.
  9. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Your posts have helped countless people and will help many more to come, great job gathering it and sharing it.

10. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Brian what do you think about Iso Acoustics. I am going to try to incorporate their products on my floor standers as well as my sub. I hope it will do somewhat of a decouple to the floor. Another short cut but hopefully a benefit.

11. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    Oh interesting. I haven't seen IA before. I suppose anything you can do to mechanically isolate or decouple unwanted vibrations the better. Not sure about the sub though. Vibrations can be good sometimes! ;-) I'll add IA to the list.

12. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    http://www.isoacoustics.com/
    They make stands for the sub as well.
    I will eventually acquire a stand for the 4 floor standers and my sub. Not sure yet about the center channel. I will post my results when I get it done. Looks to be at least a year away.
    Once again thanks for organizing a vast collection of information to help all the theater buffs on the site.

13. Jeffreybomb

Jeffreybomb Agent

Jeff
    My wife and I are finally getting into a house that we don't have to gut and has a fantastic, unfinished basement -- hooray for blank slates!

I'm pretty new to all of this (don't let my join date fool you). Thank you for the work you put into these write-ups.

14. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    You're welcome sir.

Jeffreybomb likes this.