1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

CBS/Paramount Complete Series Craze

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by TVonDVDJunkie05, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    I have the individual DVD season sets of Cheers, Frasier, Taxi and others that were released by Paramount in their early days. The lack of a "play all" setting was common. I just watched season 1 of Frasier last night. It doesn't have one. Same for a booklet. Things changed when CBS Video took over distribution. Sadly, the few extras disappeared too.

bmasters9, Darby67 and LeoA like this.
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    O-R ABC 1985-92 MacGyver being among that lot as well-- none of the individual seasonal releases had it, nor did either version of the all-in-one (the sloppily packaged original, or the newer condensed version).

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  3. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    I don't think a single Star Trek series on DVD had a play all feature. Maybe Enterprise. But the other four? Nothing.

CBS/P was late to the "play all" game.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    O-R Jack Lord Five-O had a "play all" for the episodes on its first regular seasonal release, but then made it to where you could only play all the episodic promos at once, but not all the episodes-- why the inconsistency?!

5. mayberry66guy

mayberry66guy Stunt Coordinator

Phil
    Was in my local Walmart today. Seems Paramount has released a Criminal Minds: Seasons 9-12 set and a Gunsmoke: Seasons 8-9 set. Each are priced at $39.99.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (Long tangential rant).

Out of all the current long running tv shows I'm still watching, Criminal Minds is one of the few I still watch every new first-run episode. For most other long running tv shows I still watch, I'm only really watching every other new first-run episode and/or whenever I'm really bored (such as the NCIS franchise, Law & Order SVU, The Big Bang Theory, etc ...).

With 15 episodes only being ordered for the current season 14 of Criminal Minds and Les Moonves being ousted from the CEO job at CBS, there's speculaton Criminal Minds might not be renewed after this season. (ie. Cast salaries going up and up, decline ratings, etc ...). No idea what the current interim managment at CBS will do about renwals in early-mid 2019.

Nevertheless, if Criminal Minds isn't renewed after the current season 14, most likely CBS/Paramount will release a complete series set. The seasons 9-12 Criminal Minds set at wallyworld would be consistent with 6-discs per season being packaged into a 24-disc case.

The question is whether a complete series Criminal Minds set will include the short lived spinoffs Beyond Borders (2016-2017) and Suspect Behavior (2011). Beyond Borders and Suspect Behavior were each 13-episode per season, where season 1 of Suspect Behavior and Beyond Borders were each 4-disc sets. (Season 2 of Suspect Behavior has not been released yet, which I'm guessing will probably also be a 4-disc set).

Hypothetically, CBS/Paramount could also release a fourth Criminal Minds partial-seasons set which consists of:

Criminal Minds season 13 = 6 discs
    Criminal Minds season 14 = 4 to 6 discs (depending on whether CBS orders more episodes later)
    Criminal Minds Suspect Behavior = 4 discs
    Criminal Minds Beyond Borders season 1 = 4 discs
    Criminal Minds Beyond Borders season 2 = 4 discs

which would sum up to 22-24 discs which could fit into one of those giant 24-discs cases.

Over the years I use to watch Criminal Minds reruns all the time, typically on AETV. Though in recent times, AETV discontinued their syndication of Criminal Minds reruns. Allegedly Criminal Minds was picked up for syndication on the We TV cable channel, which I'm not subscribed to.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1730810/criminal-minds-is-heading-to-a-new-cable-channel-and-there-will-be-marathons

Other than random recent episodes being rerun on as "filler" on CBS' schedule, I haven't really watched many Criminal Minds reruns since they disappeared from AETV.

In spite of my misgivings about current tv shows not being released on bluray at all (or being discontinued on bluray), I might be willing to buy a Criminal Minds complete series dvd set.

Flashgear likes this.
  7. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Saw some more partial multiple-seasons sets today.

- the original Beverly Hills 90210 - seasons 1-3 (22 discs)
    - the oringal Melrose Place - seasons 1-3 (24 discs)
    - the original Dynasty season 5-7 (23 discs)

Flashgear likes this.