1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Kolchak: The Night Stalker

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Robert Saccone, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    Mine is on the way! I assume that the prints look the same as before. Still will be nice to get rid of those damn flippers!

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  2. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    Picked mine up at my local Bullmoose store . Hope to get into it this weekend .

3. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I have the new 5 disc Kolchak set and the episodes look very good...I never had the 3 disc dvd-18 set... after my rotten experience with the dvd-18's of the Rockford Files season 1, I vowed not to buy any others...thanks, Universal, for only taking 10+ years to correct the problem...

You know, watching the witty and fun interplay between Darren McGavin and Simon Oakland, I find myself wishing that somehow Universal could give us Darren McGavin's one season private detective show The Outsider (1968-69)...if need be, through their rather limited "Vault" MOD series...in my opinion, It's one of the truly Great P.I. television series...I recall it's first run fondly, and never missed an episode...it's very much like the later Rockford Files, and equally as good, a deft combination of drama with comedic elements, with McGavin playing a conflicted, vulnerable and somewhat damaged character...there is one faded but complete episode on youtube...

JoeDoakes, Darby67 and Mr. Handley like this.
  4. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    The OUTSIDER pilot has been shown on GritTV recently and appears to be scheduled again on Wed. Nov. 9 at 4 AM EST.

5. Scott511

Scott511 Stunt Coordinator

Scott
    Thanks for the heads up!

Grit was just added in my area back in Sept. I'll be setting the TiVo.

Bob Gu likes this.
  6. Mr. Handley

Paul
    Just got my new set and watched the first episode ("The Ripper") last night. It appears to me that the picture has been cleaned up somewhat, BUT I noticed a few spots where it looked a bit "off". Kind of like that weird effect that the old All In The Family season 7 set had...kind of "herky-jerky" movements. Thankfully, it was just during certain shots (like the train movements in the opening scene and when all the mail gets dumped on Kolchak's desk) and didn't really hurt my overall viewing experience. Did anybody else notice this?

Darby67 likes this.
  7. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Did they fix the opening credits captions (to say 'the night stalker' rather than 'kolchak: the night stalker')?

8. John Stell

John Stell Screenwriter

John Stell
    No.

9. Mr. Handley

Paul
    I'm now 3 episodes in and I'm happy to report that the weird effect I described in my earlier post is no longer an issue. Still not sure what that was all about on the first episode. I must say that the prints on the new set look to be cleaned-up from the previous release. The quality is noticeably better for sure.

10. Race Bannon

Race Bannon Supporting Actor

Jay
    I didn't have this yet, so I'll probably get this set. A childhood favorite

Darby67 likes this.
  11. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I finally found some time to compare the reissued 5-disc set against the original 3-disc flipper set. Other than replacing each disc's opening Universal logo with the current Comcast-associated one, I found no differences. They are the same overly-dark transfers with film specs and scratches occasionally visible. The episodes are still missing the original Universal logo after the end credits. By current standards, it barely passes as watchable. A remastered blu-ray release is long-past due.

On a related note... The recently-released Season 1 & 2 DVD sets of The Rockford Files from Mill Creek have been remastered, and are noticeable improvements over the previous Universal releases.

12. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

After watching Universal's "Murder She Wrote" SD DVD compared to the remastered HD versions that aired on Netflix, it was night and day difference. I can't even watch my dvd set anymore knowing that such better quality exists. All Universal has to do is re-release the HD remastered versions on DVD.

I don't even care if they are downrezzed to standard definition, as the remastered versions will still look worlds better.

13. shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy Second Unit

dan olson
    Call me unrefined and a pushover, but i dug out the ol' 3-disc version and at least on the 2 discs i've seen the image and video is pretty fine. Much better and less foggy than the Me-TV version we get fed on Sunday nights. I was considering re-dipping but I'll wait for any BR edition... McGavin was truly a master of consummate pent-up energy, and he and Oakland worked well together. I've also noticed (or re-noticed) how the casting director (and McGavin) liked to mine the old familiar faces of Hollywood for supporting players. Benny Rubin, Phil Silvers for small parts, but its very comforting when you see these old time actors give it their all, even if it is for less than a minute!

Darby67, SAhmed and Flashgear like this.
  14. mattfire64

mattfire64 Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    I've previewed several episodes on MeTV, and it appears that their prints are likely videotape copies of the same film prints that were the source for the DVD release (Universal did the same thing for "The Rockford Files", until they switched over to the new HD prints of that show). They are definitely more blurry and fuzzy looking than the DVD's, and the blurriness is enhanced by MeTV's stubbornness on airing their programming in fake widescreen which crops AND stretches the original image. Zooming in on an already low resolution image isn't going to do it any favors...

The only plus about MeTV's prints is that the original Universal logo is retained at the end of the credits. MeTV also has all 20 episodes, which is surprising since 4 episodes were removed from the syndication package to create the two cobbled together TV movies "Crackle of Death" and "The Demon and The Mummy".

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  15. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  17. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    awesome!

18. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Supporting Actor

John Hopper
    Can you double-check if they offer the uncut print of The Zombie” (see the middle end of chapter 4) and “The Vampire” (see the end of chapter 2)?

19. Mr. Handley

Paul
    With Kino doing an upgrade on the TV films, perhaps they will eventually get around to the series. I would buy it (again) in a heartbeat!

Radioman970, Darby67, SAhmed and 2 others like this.
  20. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I hope so. I watched the series one time, way back when it was released on DVD for the first time. I would love to revisit it in HD.