Stream in HD | Download Now | Storm Radar
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

looking for RELIABLE inexpensive blu-ray player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Briton, Jun 4, 2018.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Does Netflix do 5.1 on PC? Last I looked, Amazon didn’t. But I don’t remember about Netflix; but in any case its Windows app didn’t work with a remote control (didn’t support arrow keys, requiring mouse input).

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you plan on buying a 4K streamer, I would recommend the Apple TV 4K over the Roku Ultra by a large margin. Roku's software engineering on their 4K models is horrible -- every new firmware release is a roll of the dice as to whether a new bug will be introduced. Their quality control is non-existent. I've experienced this five different times over the more than 1.5 years I've owned an Ultra, and my unit is currently suffering from severe audio dropouts on 5.1 audio due to the latest bug. I acquired an Apple TV 4K due to all the issues I was having with the Ultra, even though I am not part of the Apple ecosystem, and the unit has been rock-solid.

John Dirk likes this.
  3. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    Hey Dave. The Windows 10 app most certainly does support 5.1 and there's even some [very limited] Atmos content available. As for remote control, I have no idea since I am happy to use a mouse in my environment.

DaveF likes this.
  4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Ok, I’m out of date :) Windows 10 support for Atmos is new; it was only XB1 and LG TV the start of the year. I have to check anew the Win10 Netflix app. Thanks for the info.

“The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix:

LG OLED TVs (2017 models or newer)
    Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models or newer)
    Windows 10 app (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
    Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X”

http://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

5. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN

I've spent some time trying to sort this out. Here is what I've found.

My HTPC is able to play true 7.1.4 Atmos content via either JRiver or Kodi but not Netflix, I think... I checked and my Windows 10 build requirements are not the problem. That's obvious enough I suppose since Netflix is the only tested app that fails.

The sounds coming from the Netflix app with the content I tried [Bright, The Punisher] definitely sounded "Atmosy" as you once said :) yet Netflix always showed a consistent 5.1 output even though the overview of these titles said they contained Atmos mixes. My Marantz AV7702 MKII also showed Atmos options when I played these titles but only for 5.1 configurations. When I selected Atmos on the Marantz it settled on Dolby Digital + Surround.

As an aside, when I tried the same tests with both Microsoft Edge and Chrome only analog formats were available. I think this is more of an issue with shared mode playback compared to exclusive mode. When I ran the Windows 10 "Dolby Atmos for Home Theaters" wizard it presented a few Dolby Atmos clips upon completion. These all showed and played as true Atmos on my Marantz.

Conclusion. Nothing from Netflix shows as true Atmos to my downstream equipment even though the streams are clearly different than what their non-Atmos titles deliver. I'm confused.

DaveF likes this.
  6. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I personally would never buy another Sony blu-ray player. I got one for my sister for her birthday, and about 3 years later, I went to turn it on and it wouldn't even power up. Just stone dead.

The Panasonic I got 8 years ago for Christmas still works great.

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, the Panasonic I have in my rack is my oldest piece of electronic equipment at the moment. It's my go-to 3D player being among the first 3D players on the market.