David Kerr | STALINGRAD ABATISStalingrad.Abatis-PLAZA 2.04 GBAbenteuer+++ | その他のツール
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My Home Theater Page

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Moritz, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    This Marantz SR-8012 has arrived at it's new home!

2. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW . Absolutely gorgeous. Have fun trying to sleep tonight LOL

Dave Moritz likes this.
  3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Prepping Marantz before installing into a/v rack in home theater!

IMG_2070a.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  4. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    That is the worst picture you could show me. It drives me crazy I need to see the maual and have fun digging in. I hope you will ENJOY the process that you are fully prepared for to connect every thing and calibrate everything and then go cerebral and drink the results as far as audio and video goes. You deserve SUPER quality and now after busting your ass you have got it. Now ENJOY what others dream about.

Dave Moritz likes this.
  5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Receiver is now registered with Marantz :popcorn:

Bob Bielski likes this.
  6. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Register with me. No pressure take it slow just share what you find . You will help thousands of people. How's that for pressure?

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thank you. If everything goes well I may just add a Sony A9F 55" 4K OLED and the Bowers & Wilkins 685 C2 bookshelf speakers and with the bookshelf speakers finally be able to use Atmos/DTS:X and maybe even Auro 3D if I ever get my hands on content. I wanted a 4K projector but even if I do not get a projector I am so blessed to get the Marantz and even more so if I am able to acheive the Sony OLED with the Bowers & Wilkins bookself speakers to go with the Bowers & Wilkins center channel I already have. There is alot of work ahead of me to get this receiver dialed in and I will be posting the results here and I still want to write a review on the Marantz SR-8012. And even though it is not hooked yet and all I can say is the toroidal transformer is huge!

That's no moon, it's a space station! ROFL

Bob Bielski likes this.
  8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thanks, ROFL

9. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Going to buy this app after I get back to work!

Marantz App.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    It is finally setting in that I have a bad a** receiver now! I have not had flagship since I had a McIntosh MX-130 pre/pro back in the 90's!

Daves MX130 1995.

11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    So in this photo the new Marantz is on the desk and the former AVR that was in the HT is in the rack to the right for my pc.

IMG_2067a.

12. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Don't forget the tourtise beat the hare. Go slow and share what you find.
    We will be watching.
    HAVE FUN.

Dave Moritz likes this.
  13. Message #873 of 898 Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    The Marantz SR-8012 is in the a/v rack and looking good! I just got done doing most of the connections with connecting the Dish Network receiver, HD-DVD player and 4K blu-ray player. All speakers are connected and right now especially since I have not powered up the receiver or set up Audyssey yet no wire management is being done yet. I will not do any wire management till I buy the material to redo the back panel on the a/v rack and get the wire tie mounts and also do the cut out for the network switch that will be flush mounted through the back. One step closer to doing the first power up of the 8012 and then do the initial set up. Still need to hook up my sub rca wire.

Also going to work on the bedroom system which will only take a few minutes. The Pioneer Elite is only hooked up currently via analog cable to the pc. I have enough spare HDMI to hook up the Denon Blu-ray to the AVR then run the HDMI out to the LG 43" 4K display. So the LG will have the 4K from the PC via AudioQuest HDMI and then the 1080p feed from the AVR to the LG. Will upgrade a few non AudioQuest HDMI cables to AudioQuest later on as the plan on both systems is to have all AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI cables. Also need to pick up more Monster banana plugs for the rest of the speaker wire.

More to come!

Former Pioneer Elite SC-05
    IMG_5015 (2a).

Marantz SR-8012 11.2 Channel AVR - Currently wired for 7.1
    IMG_2078a.

I will add that I am so far without even power up the Marantz much happier with the rear panel layout vs the older Pioneer Elite which was a pain to connect speakers to when just putting bare wire to terminal.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  14. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Sounds like a plan. Even the back side looks awesome. The Cinnamon HDMI cables look sweet. Is the bar going up at a right angle on the top left side, right side in the pic, for wireless or is it an antenna?

15. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    The two antenna are wireless wifi just in case as I have not been able to get another cat6 cable yet. I have not hook up the FM antenna yet.

And I did an edit to the previous post so it has been updated.

More to come! :cheers:

16. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    I missed the other one. Thanks for the clarification.

17. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Denon BDP-1611 UD blu-ray player connected to Pioneer Elite SC-05 and back up and running after sitting in storage. Need to address draw assembly sticking after unit has been sitting. But HDMI on bedroom system now a done deal and as long as I can remedy this little issue it will be checked off.

Will be powering up Marantz SR-8012 later today after an appointment I have to deal with.

IMG_2075a.

Bob Bielski and JQuintana like this.
  18. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    I love it when a plan comes together.

19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    The_a_team_group_2_1024.

20. Message #880 of 898 Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Did not get into hooking up the turntable and my older Denon DVD-2200 that I plan to use as a DVD-A and SACD player. I remember the old days where you plugged in your receiver set your bass and treble setting after you hooked up your speakers and sources and boom your done! Yes those days are gone and these new modern receivers take more time to set up and to finesse by fine tuning your audio settings. Be willing to take your time and invest your time to get the best out of all these new receivers bring to the table.

For those who are new to this hobby and new to Home Theater Forum, welcome!

In the age of the internet where so much information on products are available on retailers sites and manufactures sites one thing I would like to say to those who are new. Do not rush your purchase and do lots of research, get feedback and read reviews from experienced people and do not be afraid to ask questions and see the product in the flesh. I would like for each and everyone of you to make informed and wise choices so that you may enjoy your movies, music and your gear for many years to come.

2000px-Marantz_(logo).svg.

For everyone else please bear with me as I may have been with this forum for many years but this is the first time I have dug in and put my thoughts and feedback about a product. And lets face it, we are not just talking about any product are we or just any company so I hope I do this justice! We are talking about Marantz! And while Marantz makes a number of very fine products and has been doing so since the beginning when they where founded back in the 1950's. While Marantz over the years has had a number of owners this has not changed there passion or focus. Marantz is now owned by Sound United which also owns another well now brand Denon. And in a brave move Sound United purchased another well know company to those who follow high end equipment, they purchased Class'e Audio! Marantz has a proud heritage in audio making great sounding gear and those who have been in this hobby know the Marantz brand. I have owned gear from a number of companies over the years and all the way back well before multi channel surround sound when two channel stereo was king. Even back then Marantz was building high quality gear that sounded great and reproduced high fidelity audio that helped us enjoy our favorite music. Are there other brands out there? Sure there is and Marantz knows this and they have always known this! We have great brands like McIntosh, Krell, Emotiva, Anthem, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer and many others. The great ones have a passion and a drive to make gear that gives the owners the best audio and video experience they can possibly get and at a number of price points. Let us not forget it is the music and movies that are the stars of the show but it doesn't hurt to have great quality equipment to reproduce those movies and your favorite music as well.

My last purchase of an AVR was a PIoneer Elite SC-05 a receiver that I did alot of home work on back when it was a new model but because of finances I did not end up with it until I was at the right place at the right time and picked it up used. This was back in March of 2012 and like I was saying I had been not only checking out this AVR when it was a brand new model but offerings from Yamaha, Integra and yes Marantz! Even before that back in 2008 I was checking out AVR like Yamaha's RX-V3800 ($1,699), Onkyo's TXSR 905 ($2,099), Integra's DRT 8.8 ($2,400) and yes was looking at the offerings of Marantz SR-7002 ($1,399) and Marantz SR-8002 ($1,999) and even offerings from Pioneer Elite and Sony. So while a number of brands where on the radar and where researched and checked into. Home Theater Forum through the years has always been a great source of information and I can not thank the members here enough for sharing there knowledge and feedback with me. Those that know me here know that I can be very opinionated about certain things but I have also tried to keep an open mind even though yes there are time I do not agree. But this is one of the ways we grow with this hobby and that is to learn what we can and when we have questions we ask others here that know. About 4 years ago I purchased my Samsung UN55F9000 55" 4K UHD TV and about 2 years ago I purchased my first 4K blu-ray player which happend to be a Samsung back when there really was not much choices for 4K players. So my dream was to eventually upgrade my Pioneer Elite SC-05 to not only something with 4K switching but to something with upgraded audio! Something that had all the latest surround decoding and features that would last me for many years. One thing I have always been picky about is sound quality and yes this goes back many years and those who know me again know I am stubborn. All you have to do is look at the picture next to my name and it says it all and those who know me knew yes that is the DTS guy!

So when I decided this was the time to upgrade and the money was going to be there as I saved up week by week and I asked questions and researched and looked up everything I could on Home Theater Forum to help make my choice. One brand, yes one brand the more I looked the more it was on the top of my list! And that brand was Marantz! So to stop dragging this out lets get to it.

So like I said at the beginning I hope I do this justice because this is not just any receiver. And while even the SR-6012, SR-6013, SR-7012 and even the SR-7013 would get the same level of detail and time. This is not just any AVR this is the Marantz SR-8012 11.2 Surround Sound Receiver! This is the best AVR that Marantz offers and it is packed with not only the latest features but things that make a difference in performance! The Marantz SR-8012 has an MSRP of $2,999.99 and represents the best of what Marantz has to offer before moving into separates. This flagship Marantz goes a bit nostalgic back to an earlier time when companies put more effort into sound quality and one of the things they did was go back to a beefy oversized toroidal transformer that will put more punch into your surround sound, especially two channel audio! So even if you go with the SR-6013 or the SR-7013 you are getting a very good performing and feature packed AVR! But if you want to raise the bar and go beyond those two models the only choice is the SR-8012! So what are some of the features of the Marantz SR-8012?

maxresdefault (6).

2000px-Marantz_(logo).svg.

Key Features
    • 11.2 channel AV Receiver with 205W per channel – Enough power to fill big rooms with renowned Marantz sound
    • Latest HDMI standard for future-proof compatibility – 4K/60 Hz full-rate pass-through, 4:4:4 color resolution, HDR, BT.2020, Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) pass-through
    • High-end build-quality for the ultimate in audio performance – Single board per channel power amplifier design; centrally mounted, oversized toroidal transformer; copper-plated chassis
    • Extended connectivity: ready to feed a TV and projector in parallel, and even a display in a second room – Eight HDMI inputs (including one front) with full HDCP 2.2 support; Three HDMI outputs (including Zone 2)
    • eARC supports the most advanced audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via single HDMI connection between AVRs and compatible TVs – eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) support via firmware update
    • HD video quality from existing DVDs or analog sources – Analog to HDMI conversion and SD to HD/4K Upscaling
    • Immersive 3D sound with effects from overhead – Dolby Atmos (up to 7.1.4 or 9.1.2), DTS:X™, and Auro-3D built-in
    • Improved network stability especially in crowded homes – Built-in Wi-Fi with 2.4GHz/5GHz dual band support
    • Built-in HEOS Wireless Multi-Room Audio Technology – Integrated with other HEOS devices for whole-house entertainment
    • Access to almost unlimited online music sources – AirPlay, Bluetooth, Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, TIDAL, Deezer and more
    • High Resolution audio streaming with gapless playback – DSD (2.8/5.6MHz), FLAC, ALAC and WAV support
    • Delivering the ultimate optimization and equalization for your room – Audyssey MultEQ XT32, LFC, Sub EQ HT, Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ
    • Hassle-free installation, setup and operation – Color-coded speaker terminals, Setup Assistant, Marantz 2016 AVR Remote App
    • Energy-conscious without compromising on performance Intelligent ECO mode with off/on/auto setting
    • Advanced multiroom options; 11.2-channel processing with pre-outs for all channels; RS232 control; Crestron Connected > Audio and video around the home; expandable surround; ready for third party home automation systems

The Marantz SR-8012 will also have the IMAX upgrade available in the near future and also have an available HDMI controller swap available to take it from HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 after chip sets are available! How is that for keeping your flagship receiver upgraded?

So right now I have the SR-8012 set up and got the speakers set up with three sources hooked up. When your upgrading from a previous AVR check your connections with your gear and speakers! I had to fix a bad connection on my left speaker tweeter and I also found out that my rear right speaker was not working. The speaker I was using as a surround which is the Advent Marbles which has the press in push button locks for the speaker wire has not held up very well over the many years I have had them. Two positive terminals have broken!
    IMG_2099.JPG

So the connection broke and was keeping the speaker from getting a solid connection. So with the left front tweeter connection fixed and rigging something to keep the positive speaker wire in place. It was time to turn on my Marantz SR-8012 for the first time! I am posting this in hopes that others might see what I have learned and also offering my feedback on this AVR. So right off the bat and this is just the beginning of my thoughts and feedback on this AVR. I so far find that Marantz kept it simple but they also made it easy for the beginner to set up there new receiver! You will get asked about what speakers you have hooked up. It will ask you if you have side surrounds, back surrounds, height speakers and if you have a subwoofer. I do plan on running Audyssey again and I will take more screen shots and post them. And yes Audyssey could tell that a speaker was not in phase and could tell one of my rear surrounds was not working! Do not be afraid to check into what Audyssey did what what the setting are. Nothing is perfect and sometimes Audyssey doesn't get it perfect but it does a very good job.

IMG_2096a.
    Audyssey Microphone

One of the Audyssey screen shots
    IMG_2080a.

IMG_2081a.

IMG_2082a.

For today this is basically where I stopped! Part of what I wanted to do is to go through set up and I found the set up to be IMHO very well thought out and user friendly. I since this AVR just came out of the box after being delivered yesterday I wanted to make sure it powered up. I wanted to make sure it passed video to the display while it was off. I wanted to see if there where any issues that would cause it to be ether returned or for it to need a possible firmware update if needed. For my initial check I used Star Trek (2009) 4K blu-ray release with a Dolby Atmos audio track. And yes I scrutinized the video being fed to my Samsung UN55F9000 55" 4K UHD TV. And while I was doing that I took in account that while this is a very nice 4K display it is still a LED based display so the black level details are not anywhere as good as they would have been if I was able to use a Sony or LG OLED display! But one of the things I wanted to make sure is that there where no defects in the video chain on this AVR as I know the 4K blu-ray player and 4K display worked just fine before getting this AVR. Sure the SC-05 was not 4K compatible but the 4K blu-ray player had the ability to send the HDMI video/sound straight to the display and a separate audio only HDMI to the SC-05 or any receiver with HDMI that can not handle 4K video. While I have not replaced my other non 4K sources with new HDMI cables. I am starting off with a new upgrade for the HDMI from the receiver to the evolution kit for my display that is the HDMI switch box for my Samsung 4K display. Almost all displays have HDMI hardwired into the tv itself but this display had a outboard box for the HDMI, USB and Ethernet connection. So far so good with the flagship Marantz and moving forward I will try and include my feedback and experiences with this beast! Besides doing critical listening and fine tuning to the audio adjustments I will also be doing critical listening with standard redbook CD's, SACD's and DVD-A titles. I had an initial issue getting a wifi connection to my router and will have to trouble shoot that later. Then I can try and see how MP3's sound streamed from my pc in another room. I would like to include as much information to help others with there set ups or possibly help make a decision on a future purchase. In this latest round of research I did consider the latest offerings from Integra, Yamaha Aventage, Anthem, Emotiva and even Sony ES but this Marantz just has everything in spades! The evaluation is no where close to being done but I am loving what I am seeing and hearing so far!

More to come!

Future planned upgrades:
    Samsung UN55F9000 55" 4K UHD TV upgrade to Sony OLED 55" Display (LG not totally ruled out yet!)
    Advent Marble two way speakers (Surrounds) upgrade to Bowers & Wilkins 685 C2 bookshelf speakers
    Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-ray Player upgrade to Panasonic, Pioneer or ?
    Uprade Advent Marbles after they become Atmos speakers to same above mentioned B&W's!

Possible but not set in stone possible future upgrade or add on?
    Emotiva XPA-3 Gen3 Three Channel Power Amp
    Power Conditioner
    ? Upgrade Subwoofer ? Undecided right now

Bob Bielski likes this.