Loveyatri PreDvd Hindi 720p x264 AAC - mkvCinemas | play now | [Golumpa] Attack on Titan S3 - 02 (Shingeki no Kyojin S3) [English Dub] [FuniDub 720p x264 AAC] [MKV] [1D439F7F]
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

***Official 19th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2018***

Discussion in 'Movies' started by John Stell, Sep 24, 2018.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's "feast or famine" for me this year. :) The days that I have open, I'm trying to go crazy to make up for the days that I'll get in one or (*gasp*) no movies.

Malcolm R and John Stell like this.
  2. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    October 10:

fallen.

3. Message #163 of 262 Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Tuesday, October 9th
    24. The American Scream. (2012)(NEW)
    A doc from the Chiller Network I found in stuff matching The Houses that October Built. Three families from the same neighborhood all love Halloween and this just shows them putting together their haunts and finally performing them on the big day. Two of these have fun doing a mixture of store bought plastic & styrofoam stuff, Skeletons tombs stones and such, and some very funny homemade stuff they make out of stuff they find. This father and son team are a blast to watch. Now, a bit different is the third man and his family who put on something that is no less than stellar. Worth watching for his experience alone. He's tough on himself (and everybody helping him), dedicated and obsessed with the whole thing. You understand why eventually and it's kind of heart warming, all three actually are. Highly recommended.

25. Halloween. (1978) Finally watching the original on blu after starting with II last year. Such a great set for my favorite horror franchise! Reminded over and over why this is such a spooky classic. Simple things like Laurie leaving the 2 kids at her house then crossing the street to her friends to see what's going on. That's so simple but played so perfect pretty much like the whole movie. This is Halloween in all senses! Never gets old. Looking forward to the new one next weekend.

26. Return of the Living Dead. (1985) My 3rd DVD to freeze this year. TCM2, TCM The beginning, and now this. I was really into it and panicked at first but remembered the full screen is on the other side. So watched the final 30 minutes that way. These were all spotless discs too. Ruined a great day a little since the other 2 were so fun to watch I threw this one on knowing it can't miss. grrrRrrr.. bad luck. gotta get them all on blus for next time. Biggest horror, how many MORE!!!! MAMA I'M SCARED!!

Wednesday, October 10th
    27. Pyewacket. (2017)(NEW)
    An IFC Midnight movie. I was searching for woodsy movies like Blair Witch etc. There are some good woods here! Last month I watched the 2 Creep movies and those have really good woodsy scenes as well. Actually a bit more than this but it's all good. Love the woods. A high school girl into harmless gothy witchcraft with her friends. But then her mom makes her move away and the witchy stuff gets serious. Sometimes tense. Worth a look. And again, nice woods!

28. Shutter. (2007) Spirit photography movie from Thailand. It's pretty good! Unnerving with loud sounds punctuating things. Love the ending! My dog Bear died in October over 10 years ago. I knew I'd delete but I took 3 pictures of her where she laid. One I deleted immediately because she just looked dead and I didn't want to remember her that way. That last picture I ever took of her alive was in her favorite place in the backyard, perfect memory of her last days. The remaining 2 pictures I didn't delete because they are nearly the same but one has a weird bright smear on it like a spirit photo. I'm a skeptic but it is strange. I might have them on my photobucket. If I come across it I'll put it here. It's on one of my old HDs. I plan to gather all my pictures in one play and back them up like I've done with digital copies of my VHS family movies.

Thursday, October 11th
    29. My Friend Dahmer. (2017)(NEW)
    A comic artist who was actually a high school chum of serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer provides the material here and I have the graphic novel he did, will get to soon! This artist used to draw pictures of his friends in various funky situations and one of his favorite subjects was Dahmer. He and his group of friends noticed how awkward Dahmer was in school and it looks as if they brought him into their group partly out of pity and partly for the laughs he bring. They were definitely regular high school guys and Dahmer was weird and funny. Just watching this made me remember my own experiences in high school and the often strange fellow students I'd encounter or just awkward neighborhood kids. A guy who dressed in dark clothing and brought a switchblade to school, or a kid at the apartments we lived in the 1970s I caught torturing a frog. Stuff you don't forget. Most of these at least do not grow up to be a Dahmer. I have to add that I knew a future killer when I was in my late teens. He'd slept over at our house right beside my bed on the floor. Yeah! Very similar to Dahmer, awkward, would do any crazy thing someone would ask just to fit in...or maybe it was some other reason, like to feel normal somehow? He was brooding like Dahmer, even threatened one of my dogs under his breath once, of course denying it when I demanded he repeat what he said. I had no idea what kind of person he was or what he'd do just a year or so later. That's the world we live in, you can know a killer. Very surreal. Very VERY glad he didn't actually live near us. Crazy thing is we did have a great time playing 2 player games on my C64. The world is nuts! Glad I'm not normal, but weird in a non-violent way. :) btw, he was a bit younger than me and when he killed a young woman, he spent time in prison but is out now.

30. The Conjuring. (2013) Dahmer was darn good. So I think my brain was still in that mode. I wasn't craving this one but watched anyway since I want to get to the sequel that I've never seen. My skeptical circuits fired up in my brain right away and raked this around a little bit. Not the best way to watch. Sensible, level-headed explanations are just not the way to get freaked out all over again. I never do that with Blair Witch or the PA series. It's like the pizza sauce dripping out from under the cheese! Get another pizza and start over! lol but I sank into the chair and go over it. I don't do the classic Poltergeist this way, or even the Amittyville Horror reboot! Really is a well put together movie.

Friday, October 12th
    31. ????

4. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    It's quite true. A few years back I had a business meeting with this guy. About a week after the meeting one of his restaurants burned to the ground under suspicious circumstances. The same restaurant we met in. Then a week after that there was an explosion at his house that nearly killed his wife and her dog. Turned out he rigged the toilet in her bathroom to explode when she flushed it. She had gone to the bathroom and the dog followed her in there as I guess was his usual habit. The dog was sitting on her lap when she flushed and the blast blew them both out a window in the bathroom somehow and both her and the dog survived. He, of course, went to prison.

Tony Bensley, TravisR and Radioman970 like this.
  5. Message #165 of 262 Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    If you like woods movies, the movie I listed above, Animal, has great woods scenery. The opening premise of the film is a group of friends taking a long hike through the forest. Just have low expectations and it might be a fun watch. It's available on Amazon Prime.

Also, another film I'm hoping to rewatch this month is Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. It's a comedic take on the backwoods hillbilly murderer/cannibal films set in the rural Southern woods.

Radioman970 likes this.
  6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    reggie, that's crazy. The guy I knew strangled a female runaway because she refused to have sex with him. Real life is way too scary!

Malcolm, Tucker & Dale is a great choice! Love that one. I'll look up Animal for the future. Backcountry is another with stunning Canadian scenery. My brain is a mishmash of movies after a month and a half otherwise I could make a great list! lol

Malcolm R likes this.
  7. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Hellraiser: Judgment (2018) ** 1/2

Yet another installment to the never-ending series. This one here has three detectives trying to solve some grim murders, which soon leads to Pinhead. If you're a fan of this series then you probably won't like this because in all honesty there's not too much Pinhead. In fact, I liked the film because I enjoyed the three lead performances and thought the detective stuff was entertaining. There's plenty of gore here including a scene where one poor sap gets skinned.

Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959) ***

I don't care what anyone says, this here is one of my favorite bad "B" movies from the 1950's. I really love this film simply because of its Southern atmosphere plus the fact that it wears its cheapness with pride. The giant leeches are fun to look at and their underwater lair was a lot of fun as well. The performances are fun, the score is fun and just about everything else in the picture is fun as well. There's obviously nothing ground-breaking here but.... it's fun.

Guess What Happened to Count Dracula? (1970) * 1/2

This ground-breaking horror film shows us what happened to Dracula after all the years in "older times." It turns out he's living in present day Los Angeles where he lives in a nightclub so that he can lure in couples. This here is a pretty bad movie but it's pretty much what you'd expect from a Something Weird Video release. The movie is poorly made and deadly dull with its lead actor turning in one of the dumbest versions of Dracula.

Q (1982) ** 1/2

I'm really hit and miss on Larry Cohen. On one hand he takes standard "B" movies and puts his own original spin on them. On the other hand, the "spin" usually just doesn't work for me. This film here deals partially with a criminal who gets dragged into a heist that he didn't want any part of. It also deals with a large bird-like creature eating people. Both segments on their own are pretty good but putting them together just didn't work too well. At least not enough to keep me entertained. Michael Moriarty, Richard Roundtree and David Carradine are all fun to watch at least.

8. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    We lost power due to hurricane Michael so I’m going to have some catching up to do when power is restored!

TravisR likes this.
  9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

38. This Island Earth

A scientist gets abducted by aliens and goes to their home planet. Decent movie and the Metaluna mutant is a pretty cool monster too.

39. Abbott And Costello Meet The Mummy

As always, the title says it all. The last A&C monster movie isn't that great but it does have Richard Deacon wearing a pith helmet so it's worth watching just for that.

Tony Bensley and Michael Elliott like this.
  10. whacky blacky

whacky blacky Stunt Coordinator

shawn blackman
    26. Back To The Beyond (2011). FTV. Watched on DVD. 1/5.
    27. Slasher.com (2017). FTV. Watched on DVD. 2.5/5.

11. John Stell

John Stell Screenwriter

John Stell
    Rating - Out of a possible 4 [​IMG]

044) 10/12/2018 Equinox (1970) [​IMG] [​IMG]1/2
    Two young couples go for a picnic in the woods while planning a visit to a professor friend. There they encounter devilish creatures somehow tied to mysterious ancient book. Unique blend of Lovecraftian themes and stop motion animation on a low budget. Acting wise the cast is hit or miss but the youths are likeable enough. Some great effects work by future big shots Dennis Muren and Jim Danforth.

045) 10/12/2018 Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973) [​IMG] [​IMG]1/2
    Devout 13-year-old choir singer Lila Lee goes to visit her ailing father, who’s on the run for murdering his wife. Lila doesn’t realize however she is being set up by title creature to join her strange world. Often fascinating attempt to film horrific fairytale about loss of innocence is rife with atmosphere, hideous creatures, and sense of dread. It’s also slow and meandering, with Lesley Gilb’s performance as Lemora ranging from hypnotic to awful. Good music score too.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    [​IMG]

Happy Death Day B

Carter: You know, this kind of reminds me of that movie "Groundhog Day."
    Tree: What? What's "Groundhog Day"?
    Carter: You know, with Bill Murray?
    Tree: Who's Bill Murray?

Tree, a popular sorority girl, wakes up in the dorms (the horror!). After giving nice guy, Carter, the brush off (As if!), she goes through her day, being sullen, rude, obnoxious, the stereotypical sorority girl, only to be murdered at the day's end. Rewind, and she wakes up again in the dorm room, and proceeds to live the day again, and again, and again, murdered every day. She finally decides that the only way to break the loop is to solve her own murder and stop the killer before they kill her again.

This was a fun film, though I'm not sure I liked it as much as James in his review from a couple days ago. It was kind of refreshing to see character growth in this type of film, which Tree earned by trying to be a better person during each repeat (once she gets past being totally freaked out). I loved the final scene where

Carter set up Tree to think she was repeating the day, yet again, as a practical joke :lol: For a "nice guy" hoping to get a second date with the popular sorority girl, he was living dangerously.

Overall, an above average slasher horror/comedy. Sequel, Happy Death Day 2U is coming in February 2019.

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Hey everyone! I didn't drop out of the challenge! I didn't die! Or did I? Maybe I'm a dracula or a frankenstein now, forever watching movies! Spoooky! Actually, the past week has been a WEEK both at work (where I usually update my movie list shhhh don't tell anyone!) and outside of work and I haven't had time to post. Despite being bonkers busy, I got in a few films. Here's a catch up post!

019 10/08 Evil of Dracula (1974) 4/5 The end of the Blood Trilogy kind of pulls out all the stops with this one. A professor arrives at a new girls school only to discover that there’s a dark secret waiting for him. Plays a bit like Dracula but does a really good job of using and adapting the usual tropes to become its own thing. I tight thriller with lots of atmosphere, I really dug it.

020 10/09 SS Experiment Love Camp (1976) 2/5 Yet another sleazy naziploitation on the Video Nasties list, this one manages to be both typical and about as good as these things get. Nazis are torturing and assaulting young women, while the camp commandant tries to find a cure for his boner. It’s actually fairly well executed in plot, it does drag as these softcore sleaze fests do and I think I’m good for the genre at this point.

021 10/09 Nurse Jill (2016) 3/5 A rape-revenge type picture as the titled Nurse Jill tries to get even with a masked rapist. It’s a weird film, it’s silent for one thing with title cards and the whole thing. The soundtrack and look is very sleazy seventies in tone. There’s some great camera work but I’m just not sure of this one. That said, it’s still rattling around in my brain days after watching it so I’m going to bump it up half a star.

022 10/11 Combat Shock (1984) 4/5 I loved this one. Apocalypse Now meets Eraserhead, Frankie is back from a bad time in the Nam and trying to track down money to feed his starving wife and mutant baby. Not a traditional horror picture, it could be argues that it’s closer to Taxi Driver than a horror film, but it is a walking nightmare that hits pretty close to reality, and bleak as all hell.

Not a great week for me, movie watching or otherwise. I'm on staycation now though, so I'm going to get catching up!

Michael Elliott and TravisR like this.
  14. John Stell

John Stell Screenwriter

John Stell
    Bold - Denotes first ever viewing
    Rating - Out of a possible 4 [​IMG]

046) 10/13/2018 Hotel Transylvania (2012) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    On her 118th birthday, Dracula's daughter is ready to leave the confines of her father's safe haven from humans for all monsters. But when a human stumbles into the birthday party festivities by accident, Dracula must keep this fact secret while preventing his offspring from falling in love. Joyful, funny, and fast-paced animated film is a treat for monster fans, as many classic creatures inhabit the hotel. Lots of sight gags, as well as great voice work by the cast.

047) 10/13/2018 She Beast (1966) [​IMG][​IMG]
    Barbara Steele is honeymooning in Transylvania when a car accident results in her becoming possessed by vengeful witch. The ugly hag then starts murdering the locals. The film has fun with the Dracula legend, making the Van Helsing family exorcists. In fact, most of the characters are comical, resulting in an odd mix of humor and horror. There are some effectively-staged shock sequences. But one must wait quite a while for them to arrive.

15. whacky blacky

whacky blacky Stunt Coordinator

shawn blackman
    28. Hallows' Eve (2013). FTV. Watched on DVD. A psycho is taking out haunted hayride customers one by one. Average fair with Tiffany Shepis in a small role.

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    [​IMG]
    Throwback D
    They went in search of a legend but found another.

Two guys travel deep in to the Australian outback in search of a legendary lost treasure, but have an encounter with another legend, the Yowie, the Australian bigfoot.

Utterly pretentious sasquatch film with delusions of being an Indiana Jones type of adventure (as you can see from the poster, above). There's even a montage of the guys walking through the jungle and caves, set to music that sounds almost as if it was lifted from a John Williams IJ score.

There were several bad omens right from the start that should have warned me off: the film opens with a quote from Alfred Lord Tennyson, introduces a flashback with not only the date but the subtitle "a page from the book of yesterday," and says that the film was shot in "Yowiescope."

Creature effects are awful, just a guy in a big gorilla suit nearly always shot from a distance through branches and leaves, as the creature moves very slowly and tentatively while announcing its presence with many roars and growls. There was a credit in the opening for "Creature design by...." I'd be embarassed to be identified as the designer of this creature.

On Amazon streaming, but I wouldn't recommend it.

17. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Got in two last night. I loved one of them, a notoriously bad movie, but I loved it! One of the pleasures I have in doing this challenge is discovering movies that I've seen clips of. I had seen the monster years ago in (I think) "It Came From Hollywood", and now seeing the film, it's a joy!

023 10/12 The Horror Of Party Beach (1963) 4/5 This is a stupid movie, but a gloriously stupid movie. Most of the cast are unlikable, but they’re fun to watch. The monster is absolutely ridiculous looking, a frog/chicken thing with a mouth full of hotdogs is the basic description but man, are they fun to watch and have a brutality typically lacking in this period, chasing down and tearing up every girl in it’s path. The beach party bits are a total delight, with sneering teens, a cool biker gang and the house band legit rocks out, it shows how completely shit the Frankie and Annette cycle of beach films were. The science is a perfect blend of bonkers yet sensible. I loved this stupid thing. A slumber party of girls have a hootenanny singing “The Wagoner’s Lad”, the movie just delivers and delivers to the point that you forget how stupid it is and you think it it’s one of the greatest monster movies of the 60’s.

024 10/12 Unhinged (1982) 2.5/5 A group of gals hit the road to go to a rock festival, have an accident and end up being looked after by some eccentrics in an old house. This Video Nasty ends up being a pretty typical slasher, there’s a pervo-breather wandering around and everything, with some cheap gore effects and ample nudity to hit the prerequisite to land on the list. It does have a pretty good last act, but it’s not quite enough to elevate it for me.

I love you, hotdog monster, please never stop!
    [​IMG]

Michael Elliott and Tony Bensley like this.
  18. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Gilda Radner's description of the "Hotdog Monster" in IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD (1982) is hilarious!

CHEERS! :)

19. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    The weirdest thing about it was after it all happened talking to the other guy that was at the meeting with me and we both were thinking about how during the entire meeting the guy was thinking about burning the place we were sitting in to the ground and killing his wife. I mean he was so close to committing the acts that had to be what was on his mind. Both of them were planned out in advance so he was obviously primarily consumed with that while we were talking to him.

I remember talking with a detective after the guy had been arrested and he quipped "Well, killing your wife is not always murder, sometimes it is just mercy. Hell, my wife says 'Somebody please kill me!' all the time in response to things I do and say."

I said "Don't you think she's joking when she says that?" and without hesitation and a big chuckle he said "No."

Radioman970 likes this.
  20. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

4C39CDD6-7137-4E6B-83EC-A656C0D1D3E0. #011 Tales From The Crypt Five stories from EC Comics and a wraparound story tying them all together. The wraparound was a waste. Sir Ralph Richardson was a pretty weak Crypt Keeper. The stories range from good to excellent (Poetic Justice and Blind Alleys). I find it interesting that it’s a British production since I can’t imagine that the comics were that well known there. Now if Vault of Horror would become available... 4/5 stars