1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

OPPO Digital shutting down!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by gadgtfreek, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    When ever I update any equipment I always use the Ethernet and I really hate using the wifi as I do not view it as being secure and it doesn't help that the motel behind me has parolees and child molesters staying there. Also the Ethernet connection is way faster than wifi.

2. Message #262 of 277 Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Supporting Actor

Thomas
    Been debating with myself on whether to purchase a Oppo Blu-ray or 4k Bluray player (as Ive heard some of them are capable of region-free playback) while they still can be found new/ at retail. I'm on a fairly modest budget right now, therefore was wondering what's the cheapest good Oppo nonregion-capable player I might still find in "new" condition? Thanks a lot.

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Tom, the lowest-price new player you can get is the UDP-203 at around $577 shipped. That's at Amazon (I just bought one a few days ago). Oddly, OPPO is sold out on their own website, but are still selling them via Amazon. No idea why, as they are the ones shipping them when you buy them at Amazon. In any case, they no longer make anything other than 4K players. You can find their older players in new condition, but the sellers have jacked the prices up through the roof.

Is almost $600 for a player expensive? Yes. With that said, as someone who has owned an older OPPO Blu-ray player for around eight years, they are absolutely worth the money. They are built like tanks and will play any kind of disc you throw at them. I tried to go cheaper when it came time to upgrade to 4K and regretted it. Even at close to $200, the LG player I originally bought just looked "OK," had minimal settings, no front panel display, and a menu system that looked like a bottom-of-the-barrel DVD player from AliExpress. I missed the experience of using an OPPO so much, I bit the bullet and ordered the UDP-203. In short, spend the extra money on an OPPO. You won't regret it in the long run.

PMF, Tom St Jones and Todd Mattraw like this.
  4. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Supporting Actor

Thomas
    Thanks a lot... When you said "will play any kind of disc you throw at them", I don't suppose that includes Divx? :)

5. Brian Kidd

Supporter

You know, deep in my heart, I feel like if OPPO could have made it work, they would have. Then we'd all be living in an alternate universe where Circuit City still dotted the landscape of every reasonably-sized city in the country.

PMF and John Dirk like this.
  6. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    I don't think it plays laserdiscs or CEDs either.

Tom St Jones likes this.
  7. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I would have been cool if the Oppo could read an HD-DVD.

diverdave likes this.
  8. Brian Kidd

Supporter

I just had the best experience with OPPO that both reminds me of how amazing their service is and how sad it will be when they are no more.

When I bought my new TV last week, I hooked up my BDP-80 as a second player because it was modded to be region-free and I have quite a few discs from other regions. It wouldn't work. The only way I could get a picture that wasn't pink or green was to choose RGB as the color space and it had no sound no matter what I did. I had pretty much given up on being able to use it. After some digging, I found out my problem was caused by incompatibility with HDCP 2.2. Someone at another forum suggested contacting OPPO to see if there was a firmware update that would fix it. I initially poo-pooed the suggestion, reasoning that the BDP-80 was eight years old and the last firmware update was years ago. It was recommended that I try anyway, as someone else there had a BDP-83 with that issue and was able to get firmware from OPPO that fixed the problem. Figuring that all I'd be sacrificing was some time, I sent a message to OPPO support this morning. By this afternoon, they had responded with the firmware update to fix the issue.

I can't think of any other manufacturer that goes above and beyond the call of duty to support legacy products like OPPO does. I don't regret for an instant ordering my new UDP-203 this week. They're the best.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Just keep in mind that 4K discs have no region coding, unlike DVD and blu-ray, so that is not an issue if you are strictly looking at 4K.

And if you want to make the Oppo region-free for other discs, you will have to purchase an additional hardware modification kit sold separately at an additional cost from 3rd party retailers. To my knowledge, Oppo has never sold a player that is region-free right out of the box.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    About a month later I finally finish the task of installation.

PMF, Brian Kidd and Sam Posten like this.
  11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Latest Firmware Update:

Main Version UDP20X-60-0625

Release Date: June 29, 2018

Loader Version:
    TF0035

MCU Version:
    MCU203-01-1118 (UDP-203), MCU205-01-1220 (UDP-205)

Download/Installation

Release Notes:

1. Added the Dolby Vision “Player-led processing” mode for compatibility with recent Sony Dolby Vision TVs and firmware updates.
    2. Added the “Dolby Vision” mode under the HDR Setting menu, which allows the player to convert the output to Dolby Vision when possible.
    3. Added the “Dolby Vision Processing” setting under the HDR Setting menu. This setting allows customers to choose whether Dolby Vision processing is handled mainly by the TV or the UDP-20x player.
    4. Added MQA support via the USB DAC In for the UDP-205 players. (More info can be found in the “USB DAC Firmware” section on the UDP-205 support page.)
    5. Added the “Up-Sample DAC Input” setting under the Audio Processing menu for the UDP-205.
    6. General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

Sam Posten likes this.
  12. Nelson Au

Thanks Robert. I started up my Oppo Saturday night and wasn’t paying attention to the screen as I quickly loaded a disc and I caught the on screen notification of a firmware update being available. But the disc loaded and the screen changed.

This is really a nice feature of giving the user notice of an update verses my last Oppo that did not have built in WiFi.

I’ll do the update the next chance I get, unless it did it for me. Glad to see Oppo still supporting us!

PMF likes this.
  13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    You're lucky. The drive of my 83SE died ages ago, and to this day the local distributor hasn't sorted out the repair; realistically I've written it off. By the time it died it was already my second machine, as I had a 105 by then. (And earlier I had a DV983, drive on that also jammed up.)

Yet: I've just ordered a 203, now that I've recently acquired a 4K OLED (after my 13 yr-old Pioneer 434 died). Odd that with so many die-hard loyalists, Oppo still didn't find it worthwhile to keep going.

14. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Keep an eye out for email. I have received mine and placed my order for the 205. Order confirmed.

PMF and dpippel like this.
  15. Nelson Au

Congrats Gary!

That reminds me, I was in Shenzhen China for work a week and a half ago and in the taxi, drove by a building that had the Oppo logo on front. Wish I had a chance to grab a photo. I’m sure it was the cell phone division.

16. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Thanks... thought I would lose out.

17. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/160942653070?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    To answer my own question and for anyone else this does work internally. It plugs into the port lower right corner in the picture. Then just follow the same keystrokes on the remote. Haven't been region free since I sold my 83 almost 2 years ago. That's the UK Region B disc of The Aviator. DSCN2039.JPG DSCN2044.JPG

Bob Bielski likes this.