Puchitto Gargantia | La Balada De Hugo Sanchez HDTV | Texas Watterston
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Oppo Releases UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave Upton, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    If you can't find what has to be changed in the HDR set-up, I can go read up tomorrow at that site and see what they say will work to force HDR10.

dpippel likes this.
  2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    That wold be great Matt. I just went through all of the video-related settings on my Oppo and found nothing related to forcing HDR10 on Dolby Vision titles.

3. KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    Why would we want to stop Dolby Vision from working when it is supposed to be better than HDR10?

4. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I wouldn't, but that's not the issue at hand. The question on the table is if it's possible to force HDR10 if DV is the default. I'll look this morning for the answer.

5. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Jason
    You can just set it to HDR10 instead of auto. Set player to not be on fast boot, and power off. Once you turn on and it is set to HDR10 will avoid DV on the disc.

Why would someone do that? Well, because when HDR10 sets first launched you couldn't calibrate them, same with DV. Only a few people even know how to calibrate the LG's in DV mode now, and some haven't been successful. If you have a display that is pro calibrated in HDR10 mode, you should not be forced to watch the DV version because Dolby thinks they own your shit.

"Better" is relative.

dpippel and Scott Merryfield like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Here's what I found copied from a post from someone who has a 203:

The workaround is to use the "HDR FORCED trick" to have the OPPO play the disc as HDR-10 instead of Dolby Vision:

1) Set HDR FORCED

2) Set Standby Mode ENERGY EFFICIENT.

3) Turn the player Off and back On again.

4) Play the disc.

To return to normal, set HDR AUTO and power cycle the player again.

PMF likes this.
  7. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Thanks Matt. What a PITA. Hopefully Oppo will see fit to make it a simple menu selection in Video Options at some point.

8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    As soon as I get working again the plan is to upgrade my receiver then upgrade my surrounds to match my B&W center channel then I will be looking at a Oppo 4K blu-ray player to upgrade my Samsung 4K blu-ray player.

9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I have a question about the 203 and wasn't sure where to put it.

With Oppo shutting down operations, I'm tempted to pick one of these up, but I realize that everything my chain is geared towards HD. My TV is 1080p, my projector is 1080p, my receiver supports 1080p, and all of my HDMI switches are for the HDMI 1.4 (high speed) standard, not the new HDMI 2.0.

If I were to buy this now purely as a future proofing endeavor, would it even work with the rest of my system? Or would the older versions of HDMI that I have prevent the player from even sending a signal out to my devices due to more advanced copy protection or whatever?

If I bought it, my goal would be to use it primarily for playback of BDs and DVDs today, with the intention of adding UHD capability to my display devices in 2-3 years. If I can watch downcoverted UHDs on there and start future proofing myself today, all the better. (This is what I did with Blu-ray; I had a BD player about two years before I had an HDTV.)

Basically, I have the 103 right now and it works perfectly, and if I were to pick this up I would hope to be able to just swap it out for the 103.

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

From reading the specs, it certainly looks like it would support older standards. It has an audio-only 1.4 HDMI port to support older receivers and will play standard and 3D Blus. It also has an HDR to SDR conversion function so it looks like it will downconvert UHD disks, even though it escapes me at to why anyone would want to do that when 4K releases come with standard Blu-ray discs. Even if the output is HDMI 2.0 or higher, I would expect that it should still be compatible with older HDMI standards.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I've heard, and I don't know how true this is, that the current UHD releases have copy protection that won't allow them to play back when connected with something not connected via HDMI 2.0. So I wouldn't be concerned about playing a regular Blu-ray on it, but I would like to know if I can watch a UHD on it without having UHD compatible equipment.

In most cases, I'd see no reason to watch the UHD when a BD was available and included. But as an example of a title I might want UHD for - my example might be The Dark Knight. The original BD was fine, but there are some issues with it regarding DNR and oversharpening. The new master created for the UHD doesn't have those issues, so the UHD should look better, even downconverted to 1080p. The UHD set does include a BD, but the BD is the same as the existing one and has the older transfer.

"2001" is coming out on UHD later this year. The current BD looks pretty lousy to me. They might not put the new master on a new BD. If I can view the UHD, even at regular HD resolution, the new master it contains should still look better than the older master on the BD.

12. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I did some more reading. 1.4 cables can be used with 2.0 ports. Sending 1080p content through a 1080p chain should not be a problem. Where an issue can arise is if a signal with HDCP 2.2 protection is sent to a non-2.2 enabled device over 2.0 cables. It won't work. Thus older 1080p sets and older 4K sets without HDCP 2.2 capability will not be able to display UHD content. I am certainly glad that I did not jump on the bandwagon and buy a 4K set as soon as they became available. Anybody who bought one of those sets is going to get hosed with HDCP 2.2 becoming the new copy protection standard. It will even affect a lot of older receivers that do not support HDCP 2.2. That is most likely why the OPPO 203 has a 1.4 audio port to get around compatibility issues between HDCP 2.2 and 1.4 enabled receivers.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  13. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I clenched my butt cheeks together and just ordered a UDP-203. My wife is going to kill me.

I literally just bought an LG UP970 a few days ago after owning an OPPO BDP-80 for many years and was so disappointed in its performance and features compared to my old OPPO that I'm going to try and sell it on Craig's List or maybe give it to a family member.

With OPPO getting out of the hardware business, I reasoned to myself that this will be the last opportunity for me to own one of their UHD players, especially at retail price.

Y'all say a little prayer that this doesn't come back to bite me in my ample butt.

PMF, Todd Mattraw and SAhmed like this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Man, you're in trouble!:D

PMF and SAhmed like this.
  15. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Yeah, that WAF can be tricky to overcome.

Vegas 1 likes this.
  16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

dpippel and John Dirk like this.
  17. Brian Kidd

Supporter

I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF! :eek:

Does the BDP-103 external hardware mod linked earlier in the thread still work on the UDP-203? If so, I'm going to have to pick me up one of those as well.

PMF and DavidJ like this.
  18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yes, it does. Are you going to do a Mea Culpa to your wife?;)

PMF and DavidJ like this.
  19. Brian Kidd

Supporter

Luckily, she's out of town this weekend. I have time to order flowers.

PMF likes this.
  20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

AND candy!

PMF likes this.