Channel Zero | Cheetah Mobile Communications | Joe Nemmers
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Panasonic Flagship 4K Blu-ray Player Coming to US?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Martin Dew, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Will be looking at both the new models from Panasonic and Pioneer when I am ready to upgrade my Samsung 8500 4K Blu-ray player. And that is if I do not end up with a Oppo 4K player despite the company ending production of new equipment soon. If the player doesn't handle SACD and DVD-A then I will look at a used audio only player option.

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Robert,

Do you still have plenty of the UB900 model in stock? I have a had a few hiccups with mine, but overall it is an amazing player. I think I might want a couple more.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  3. Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn Value Electronics
    Insider

Robert Zohn
    Yes and they are on sale for $399 delivered.

Bryan^H likes this.
  4. Message #24 of 70 May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    Just received our 1st UB820. Panasonic USA received a few units for review and included me as the only retailer with a sample! Here's my very early impressions:

- Very nice all metal build quality. All connection ports are high-grade and the overall fit and finish is very good. *Note, not up to the build quality of OPPO's players, but better than most others.

- Exceptional video quality. You can see the advantages of Panasonics well respected video and chroma processing. The HCX Hollywood tuned processor renders the images from UHD/HDR BD discs beautifully.

- Lots a very cool set-up configurations, see some of my pics below, with more to come.

- Love the HDR Optimizer controls. I was able to set the UB820 up on a few TVs with varied peak luminance capacity and it's easy to dial in the best HDR value for each TV's ability.
    [​IMG]

I'll be doing more testing, including Dolby Vision HDR over HDMI for Sony X1 Extreme TVs and HDR10+ (once a disc comes out) as I get more time with this player, but for now I can tell everyone with confidence this is a very well engineered advanced UHD/HDR BD player.

We set the price at $499, double boxed and delivered Nationwide.

Here's a few pics, with more to come:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's our dedicated page with more detailed information.

Here's a couple photos of the HDR optimizer. What it achieves is a smooth roll off of the HDR peak luminance (specular highlights) that matches your TVs peak luminance capability.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

atcolomb and Scott Merryfield like this.
  5. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

So Robert, would you say the video quality of the 820 is equal to or better than the 900?

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Thanks for the preview, Robert. Does the player support Dolby Vision out of the box, or does it require a future firmware update (like the Sony X700)?

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  7. YanMan

YanMan Stunt Coordinator

Yannick
    Robert,

Can you confirm if this player supports SACD playback, as opposed to just DSD hi-res file playback? I don't think I have seen a straight yes/no answer to this question in any Panasonic threads here or over at the blu-ray forums.

Thanks.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  8. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Was thinking about buying the 900 but I might wait to see more reviews of the 820.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  9. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    @RobertR, I can't say for sure as I have not done an a/b side-by-side evaluation, but the video performance looks identical in my viewing the UP900 and moments later the UB820 on the same displays with the same content.

@YanMan, Yes to FLAC and DSD Hi Res audio files, no to SACD.

@atcolomb, Video performance looks the same, the advantage of the UB820 would mostly be Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+ compatibility.

YanMan and atcolomb like this.
  10. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Thanks for the info, Robert!

Robert_Zohn and atcolomb like this.
  11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Robert, if you could let us know if the player comes with Dolby Vision support out of the box, or will be added later via a firmware update, I would appreciate it. If it's the latter, there will be no rush for me to buy one, as my Sony X800 does everything I require except Dolby Vision.

Robert_Zohn, ScottJH and Sam Posten like this.
  12. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-and-dvd/dp-ub820eb.specs.html
    These specs off of Panasonic's UK website say it will be "Enabled by software update". I imagine it will be the same for the USA. Above in that pic of the outer box there is some fine print underneath the Dolby Vision logo but I can't make out what it says.

Robert_Zohn and Scott Merryfield like this.
  13. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    Correct, we're expecting the Dolby Vision support soon after the July product launch via a firmware update.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  14. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    CE60E92D-7ED9-4CC0-9034-DAE9C0100138.

I’m concerned about the statement:
    “When “On” is selected, tone of the high brightness scene is displayed smoothly depending on luminance information (static meta data) of the contents.”

The problem with using static meta data for anything is that it isn’t very accurate. It often just reflects the peak luminance of the mastering monitor and not the peak luminance of the actual content (which is the only thing that is relevant). And sometimes this info is simply absent. Dynamic scene by scene analysis and mapping based on the actual content being played would be preferable.

I’m looking forward to user feedback on this. Now that some seem to be getting out into the wild im sure it will be forthcoming.

15. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Jason
    Pics have been posted at another from by a user from Spain, using HDR Optimizer on the OLED setting, with his 2016 LG. It seemed to add more plus 1000 nit detail back into the scene, without reducing APL. In other words, I think it could be great for OLED and Projector owners to keep some detail but not have to dim the image overall, especially on 4000 nit discs.

Someone stated, and I am not sure about this, that the tone mapping function was similar to what the Panny OLED's do, and it has been very popular with reviewers.

Some displays dim down to keep all the highlights, which is not popular by some, others (Sony) just clip what they cant show and stay bright, Panny kinda hits in between.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  16. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    Check out this video from Vincent in the UK about Panasonic's UB9000. The video section of the UB820 is the same as the UB9000 so everything he says applies to the UB820.

gadgtfreek likes this.
  17. gadgtfreek

Supporter

Jason
    I love it, 1000 nit setting for mapping to an OLED. Perfect...

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  18. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    Not sure what's happening, but we just received a few call and emails saying the UB9000 is not confirmed to be available in the USA.
    Just to be 100% clear and as I said before, we are getting the UB9000 in the USA, but it will be later than the EU and Asia's launch. Likely October and hopefully mid-late September.

dpippel likes this.
  19. gadgtfreek

Supporter

Jason
    And I think in the new HDTV Test video they said Oct launch for Europe.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  20. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    After watching that video and reading gadget's comments, I think the 820 would be a wise upgrade for me to pair with my 55EF9500 OLED. I'm using the Samsung 8500 and I'm pleased with 4k discs now, but I'm all for upgrading the picture quality even more.

I know Robert said the video section is identical to the 9000, does that include the 820 also being 3D capable?

When it comes to audio, what am I losing going with the 820 if I just use the player for movies (4k, bluray, DVD) and streaming, and very rare occasions of playing a CD?

Robert_Zohn likes this.