Untouched | Screensavers | Poradniki do gier
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Panasonic Flagship 4K Blu-ray Player Coming to US?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Martin Dew, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn Value Electronics
    Insider

Robert Zohn
    Yes, 3D ready for the UB820 and UB9000. I played a couple FHD 3D Blu-ray discs on our UB820 and it works beautifully.

2. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Jason
    Yeah, I think I am just gonna go with the 820 when it releases. The 820 vs 9000 is kinda like 203 vs 205 for me, I just dont need anything audio related.

Robert_Zohn and George_W_K like this.
  3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

That's my plan, too. I have an old Oppo 980H DVD player that plays SACD and DVD-Audio, and so does my Sony X800 UHD player. I just want something that has Dolby Vision support, top notch video quality for UHD, BD and DVD, and doesn't have any major bugs/issues.

dpippel and Robert_Zohn like this.
  4. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    George_W_K likes this.
  5. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    OMG, my engineering production UB9000 sample is in transit to me as I write this post! :dancing-banana-04:

If all goes as promised by the carrier I'll receive the player this Wednesday!

We established a very compelling launch price, $999, double boxed and delivered Nationwide. The UB820 is $499 and is scheduled to arrive the end of next week.

dpippel and George_W_K like this.
  6. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

I already spewed my unhappiness in another forum (which Robert kindly replied to, thank you) but for those here in HTF...

Unbelievably, the Panasonic UB820 is being released for sale without Dolby Vision support (yet). The support is promised for October or sooner but Robert still hasn't gotten Panasonic to officially confirm that it will support the low latency Dolby Vision profile (DV profile 5) that is needed for Sony's X1 series of high-end TVs. Robert seems confident that profile 5 support *is* coming, but we still don't have anything official.

It boggles my mind that a company is willing to release a new 4K player 7 months into 2018 and NOT already have DV support onboard at the time of release. Apple solved the issue with the Apple TV 4K in less than 2 weeks. Granted, Apple's engineers were probably already working on the update but, still, Panasonic has had MONTHS. Heck, the initial player design probably dates back to sometime in 2017 if not earlier. How on earth can it take so long for something so obviously necessary to compete in today's market?

Mark

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I'm with you, Mark. I have no intention of buying another player until it actually has Dolby Vision support, and not just a promise for that support in the future with a firmware update. I already have a quality UHD player that lacks DV support (Sony X800) -- I don't need another one.

8. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    Apple was amazing getting Dolby Vision HDR profile 5 updated so quickly. However, one item to consider is that Apple TV is limited to streaming and it's the disc playback that takes more engineering and a diligent approval process from Dolby Labs.

I am 100% confident we'll see the Dolby Vision update and very optimistic that it will include profile 5, low latency protocol.

Mark Booth likes this.
  9. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    Very busy day at Value Electronics!

We received our 1st allocation of Panasonic UB820 BD players and double boxed and shipped all of our clients pre-orders.

[​IMG]

10. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Awesome! Just placed my order a few minutes ago Robert. Thanks!

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  11. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Jason
    Got my tracking. Updated and shows Wed delivery. Looking forward to trying the Oled tone mapping.

12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Can't wait to read your opinions on the machine, Jason.

13. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Same here. I have the LG 55EF9500 and I remember him saying the Samsung UBD- K8500 wasn’t a good match for the tv, which is the player I have.

The tone mapping has me very intrigued.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  14. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    @Robert_Zohn , forgive me if this has been addressed. How (and if) is playback on the UB820, downscaling UHD discs to 1080p, for those of us who still have 1080 displays, waiting for OLED to come down a bit more, but would like to start collecting some UHD discs?

15. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    @JohnRice, yes the UHD/HDR to FHD/SDR is excellent.

JohnRice likes this.
  16. Mark Booth

Supporter

Robert,

While we wait for Dolby Vision to actually be supported by the UB820 (it boggles my mind that every article I read, including information on Value Electronic's site, suggests it ALREADY supports Dolby Vision when, in fact, it doesn't... yet), please comment on how "quick" it feels with regard to loading streaming apps and general movement from menu to menu. To me, my DMP-U900 seems kinda slow in that regard. Too slow.

Mark

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  17. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Mine is scheduled for delivery today, and I'm looking forward to taking for a test drive this weekend.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  18. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    @Mark Booth, first and foremost thanks for your comment about my UB820 web page not clearly stating "Dolby Vision HDR" requires a future update. We had it listed in a disclaimer at the bottom of the page in small text and after reading your post I immediately updated the UB820 page and moved the disclaimer directly under the Dolby Vision HDR feature listing.

In regard to the speed of the app navigation I agree it's not as fast as I'd like. I passed my comment onto the engineers and requested any help they can provide with the next firmware update to speed up the Smart navigation. BTW, at launch we only have Netflix streaming in addition to several special interest apps. Many more apps will be added shortly.

Most importantly, this is an excellent BD player with the very valuable and exclusive HDR Optimizer feature. Panasonic UB820 HDR Optimizer is the only way to properly tone map HDR10 to match your TV or projector's peak luminance capability.

19. Mark Booth

Supporter

Robert, I absolutely plan to purchase a UB820 or UB9000. If the UB820 already supported Dolby Vision (and profile 5) you would already have my money. I've got an Apple TV 4K for streaming apps and It's unlikely I'd use the Panasonic for such purposes, I was just curious if it was snail slow like my current U900. Disappointing that it apparently is but definitely not a deal breaker.

Mark

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  20. Robert_Zohn

Insider

Robert Zohn
    Panasonic engineers have confirmed to me personally the UB820 and UB9000 will support Dolby Vision Profile 5 w/low latency protocol. You will love the HDR Optimizer feature, which BTW, is only active with HDR10 content.