50 Ways to Kill Your Mammy | Calon Sarjana | Episode 1
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Message #201 of 209 Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    BELLS OF SAN ANGELO, on GRIT this morning, was a 53 minute B&W version. Even the famous fist fight where Roy gets beat up is edited out!! It had a MCA-TV logo at the beginning and end, in place of any Republic logo. Edited version of the title card. World Vision/Spelling logo at the end.

But!!! This B&W cut version did have a scene that is missing from from all the 75 min. unrestored Trucolor versions I have seen around. At the point where Dale Evans arrives on the bus there is a bit of extra picture and dialog with Dale asking Andy Devine if he's the famous Border Investigator, Roy Rogers. The Dale gets captured scene mentioned above is also missing on this print too. I have never seen a full 78 minute version, even in B&W, of BELLS OF SAN ANGELO. All the other lost or partially lost Rogers Trucolors at least have full B&W versions around. Bells%20of%20San%208. 05post.
    Notice Revival posters don't mention Trucolor. Black and white prints were sent out?

That YouTube upload of DON"T FENCE ME IN, (post#199), is missing a version of the song "Don't Fence Me In", by Roy and The Pioneers right before the scene where Dale searches Gabby's room.

Just for Fun: Jack Benny as wild and wooly "Buck Benny". Cowboy-Costumes2.

BELLS OF SAN ANGELO- 75 min. version unrestored Trucolor:

2. Message #202 of 209 Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    RAINBOW OVER TEXAS-1946, 65-66 minutes Black & White and survives uncut.

Rainbow%20over%20Texas.
    Republic Home Video came up with a good uncut theatrical print of RAINBOW OVER TEXAS for the 1998 VHS release. It starts up with the 1998 Republic/Spelling/Artisan logos, but is followed by the correct period Republic Independence Hall logo, followed by the theatrical release title card "Republic Pictures Presents". It has the original "The End, A Republic Production." over the final action of the movie, but not the period logo. It has the Republic /Spelling/Artisan logo instead.

00b%20bb.

Roy and the Pioneers are film and radio stars in this one and features a montage with songs from previous movies as they go on the road with their musical act. There are loads of songs including those with Dale.

Dale is a fan of Roy, and is also the kind of madcap heiress we see often in classic movies, who runs away from a domineering, but comedic, father. She winds up in a train box car disguised as a boy. Roy, the Pioneers, and Trigger are in the car too. Roy is not fooled.

03%20bb.
    Gabby is the Sheriff.

16%20bb. 1428-61.
    The crime plot concerns, Sheldon Leonard and Keene Duncan, crooked gambling, murder, and a relay race.
    13%20BB. Leonard runs a gambling joint/dinner theater with musical acts.
    Rainbow.
    There is a neat musical number with cute JoAnn Dean leading the Republic dancers, all dressed as cowgirls, roping Roy into their act, to sing the title song. Miss Dean is really all over the place in the parts of the movie set at Sheldon's place. Someone must have liked her. I sure did.
    Rainbow%20(2). 1428-31.
    I looked JoAnn Dean up and there is not much listed for her at IMDB. But an online bio said she was an ice dancer, and was in a hundred movies, apparently uncredited dancing chorus parts. She is famous for portraying Snow White at the 1955 opening of Disneyland.

snow-white2.
    There are continuity errors during the relay horse race. Roy is supposed to ride Trigger for the last leg of the race, and ride other palominos in relay leading to Trigger. But Roy is seen riding Trigger before the last relay multiple times, in between the other palominos.

This is a fun Roy Rogers movie. It's worth seeking out uncut if you are not afraid of RHV VHS or YouTube. I don't know if RAINBOW is uncut on any of the Rogers PD DVD
    collections.
    1428-84.

Uncut RAINBOW OVER TEXAS on YouTube posted by Roy and Dale's daughter.

It is very unusual for Gabby and Trigger to be missing from the finale in a Roy Rogers movie. Gabby usually sang along with Roy and the gang or sat on the side lines mugging with other comedy relief players. Gabby and Trigger are in the publicity photo of the finale above. Every reference book says RAINBOW is 65 minutes, and that is what the VHS and YouTube upload are.

So what happened? Was a scene lost or destroyed in the original editing process? Did they forget to film it? Was Gabby and or Trigger having a bad day? Maybe Gabby went home and Trigger went back to the home ranch before anyone noticed the scene was not filmed, and it was too late budget wise to call them back??

3. Message #203 of 209 Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    SUNSET SERENADE-1942, B&W
    ROY%20SUNSET%20SERENADE%20TITLE%20CARD%20A%20bb.
    SUNSET SERENADE is another uncut 57-58 minute Roy Rogers out there. It's available from Sinister Cinema in both DVD-R and VHS. I still have the VHS and did not know SC later released a disc. SC usually cleans up their disc releases, so if anyone has it, let us know how it is, ditto the SC version on Amazon Prime. (There are uploads of the cut version on Amazon Prime, too, so be careful.) My old SC VHS looks nice, by the way.

The Sinister print is a theatrical print with the proper logos front and back with matching music, and technical credits at the end. (At some point, years later, the technical credits would in the front, with only THE END and the logo, at the end of the film.)
    1942%2009%2014%20Sunset%20Serenade%20Sandman%20Lullaby%20-%20JF.

Sweet Helen Parrish comes west with her infant ward, the heir to a ranch. She meets Roy, Gabby, and The Sons of the Pioneers, on the way, and asks them for their help. Funny bit when Helen flatters Gabby into catching a passing cow, so the baby can have milk. Helen Parrish was only 35 when she died,(cancer), and was married to John Guedel, the producer of YOU BET YOUR LIFE, with Groucho Marx.

Helen Parrish with Trucolor Rogers costar Jane Frazee.
    jane-frazee-and-helen-parrish-wearing-everett. Helen%20Parrish.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Joan Woodbury, who has been running the ranch, and was promised by the deceased that the ranch would go to her, throws in with Onslow Stevens, and his henchmen, Roy Barcroft and Jack Ingram, to trick Helen Parrish into selling the ranch, cheap.
    1942%20Sunset%20Ser.

How about that wringer washing machine.
    Suns8.
    Suns%20ser%20(2).
    Sunset%20Serenade%202.

Of course, Roy puts a stop to that! There's a nice Lydecker Brothers dam burst/explosion. All in all a satisfying Rogers movie with action, comedy, and good songs. Gabby and Roy sing with an Irish accent in one number.
    suns7.

Gabby sings!

YouTube: SUNSET IN THE WEST full except no end credits.

Gary OS, Bert Greene and ponset like this.
  4. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

I always liked Helen Parrish, even though I seem to always recall her most as the really nasty nemesis to Deanna Durbin in "First Love" (1939), which was a reworking of the old Cinderella tale. Parrish also showed up as Lumpy Rutherford's mother in an early "Leave it to Beaver" episode. I sometimes wondered if she might have continued in the role, and been a semi-regular along with Richard Deacon as the series wore on, had she not passed away so young and unexpectedly.

Tony Bensley, Gary OS and Bob Gu like this.
  5. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    I remember noticing Helen Parrish, as Mrs. Rutherford, in that LITB episode and thinking, "who's that? That Fred Rutherford did all right for himself". This was pre internet and pre DVD for me and I had to resort to Halliwell's Filmgoers Companion, and a TV players book, by Brooks and Marsh, to look her up. (That year a local station was running LITB and RACKET SQUAD, back to back, and another station was showing PUBLIC DEFENDER. I was in rerun heaven for awhile.)

I need to revisit the Deanna Durbins, I have, and see what I still don't have. It's fun collecting famous actresses who didn't make a ton of movies, i.e. Eleanor Powell. Or more obscure ones that started out strong and faded away, like Evalyn Knapp. Thanks to Warner Archive, and, being undemanding, Alpha, I have a nice chunk of Knapp's filmography.

(Sorry about mixing up my Serenades and Sunsets above.)

Bert Greene and Gary OS like this.
  6. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

Yep, Evalyn Knapp is another. I have a great original Elmer Fryer portrait still of her, which I bought decades ago. Knapp's poverty-row and WB films are luckily rather easily found. The Columbia ones are considerably harder. I've been wanting to see "State Trooper" (1933), with Knapp and Regis Toomey, for eons. Always hoped the Sony Archive might make it available, like they did with Knapp's "Air Hostess" from the same year. She also made several non-western films with Tim McCoy at the studio as well. I have a copy of "Police Car 17," but have yet to see "A Man's Game" or "Speed Wings." I think the former is around in collectors' circles, but I believe the latter is particularly rare, unless a copy has shown up in recent years. There was also a Columbia film she did with Jack Holt, which I've wanted to see, entitled "This Sporting Age." She was also in Paramount's "The Vanishing Frontier" (1932), with Johnny Mack Brown, but the film is a bit of a stinker, with Brown rather ineffectually portraying a Mexican bandit-type.

Bob Gu and RBailey like this.
  7. Message #207 of 209 Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Elmer Fryer, I'll be looking his work up. I like the old movie star photos, very artistic in the lighting.

460477_Air-Hostess-1933.

AIR HOSTESS is a entertaining movie, the Sony MOD is really sharp and shot yesterday looking. That stunt with the plane and train, at the end, is exciting. And without looking again, I don't remember if it was a real plane and train, or a combination with models. I love Evalyn Knapp's energy.
    1384344500_5.

I was hoping for more westerns from Sony MOD. A few more Wild Bill Elliott Columbia westerns showed up on OTA stations, looking great. Mill Creek came out with that very inexpensive 10 movie set of Charles Starrett westerns. I have not picked that up yet, but I am interested in watching Smiley Burnette's sidekick hat shrink over the years.
    df77c3e983f415a9dd9aa6760bce007c.
    04_Frontier OutpostA 1950.

SERENADE'S, evil lady, Joan Woodbury is another one I like.
    Joan Woodbury in Sunset Serenade (1942).
    93ca25af99186df3b6f30eb76d8a9129.
    As Brenda Starr:
    billy-benedict-brenda-starr.
    bsr11.

ponset, Bert Greene and Mysto like this.
  8. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    William Witney's 1950 TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD has been listed on Turner Classic Movies advance December schedule. It's slated to air at 8:00 p.m. eastern time on Saturday, December 15th as part of TCM's schedule of Christmas themed films. This is a terrific entry in the Roy Rogers series as Roy and his friends from Republic Pictures help fight Christmas tree rustlers trying to put the retired Jack Holt and his ranch out of business. Rex Allen, Allan "Rocky" Lane, Monte Hale, Tom Tyler, Ray Corrigan, Tom Keene and others make cameo appearances. It's a neat Republic western and it's nice to see it finally shown as a Christmas movie. I hesitated to post this because sometimes there are changes in TCM's schedule but it has been listed on a couple of other websites. Let's hope it's the unedited color version as well.

9. Message #209 of 209 Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    KING OF THE COWBOYS-1943, B&W. 70 minutes in the original release version, 67 minutes in the armed forces version, with alternate scenes, and 53 minutes in the cut for TV version.

All the reference books say this is 67 minutes, but the 70 minute version exists in the collector market, and is on YouTube. Sinister Cinema has the 67 minute alternate armed forces version, on VHS, only, I think. Republic Home Video only released the 53 minute version of the 70 minute version, on VHS.

What's an armed forces version? According to R.M.Hurst's "Republic Studios: Between Poverty Row and the Majors", during World War II the Office of War Information was concerned that movie villain characters turning out to be people who should be pillars of the community would be bad for morale, especially for the service members.

In "Republic Confidential: Vol.1", Jack Mathis specifically mentions changes made to KING OF THE COWBOYS: "In order to soft peddle the plot of domestic sabotage activity, destruction sequences of an exploding warehouse and bridge were edited out, and an extra Sons of the Pioneers song was added to all prints shown to the armed forces".

I have the three versions of KOTC, but have never done a side by side viewing of them to see how accurate the above description, of the changes, is.

The big change was filming new scenes with Lloyd Corrigan, as Kraley. In the original 70 minute version Kraley is the Governor's secretary, and is seen with Roy and Smiley Burnette, in the Governor's outer office, and later, as the secretary with the Governor, and a group of bigwigs. In the 67 minute version, the scene with Kraley, Roy, and Smiley is gone, and when we see Kraley with the Governor, Kraley is one of the bigwigs. The change was made to not have Kraley be part of the government. The headlines on the newspapers at the end change a bit too.
    th28TP1RGV.
    Lloyd Corrigan was a frequent Roy Rogers co-star. Here he is with Roy in SON OF PALEFACE:
    500px-SoP-002.

The story: The Governor, Russell Hicks, has recruited Roy and Smiley to track down a ring of saboteurs.
    thOHHJ0DON.

Roy follows a slim lead to a traveling show headed by Gerald Mohr. Roy, Smiley, and later, the Pioneers join the show. It's a fast paced adventure, with very familiar western songs.
    geraldmohr-kingofcowboys. q67MRwgxqjqPIe5PqjncMQK8lUu.

Peggy Moran is the female lead and has a sidekick of her own in Dorothea Kent.
    cea6c1164449c2b8ba689b1ad3e121bf--classic-actresses-old-pictures.

Like Helen Parrish, Moran and Kent were both in Deanna Durbin movies. I enjoy Dorothea Kent when she shows up in a movie. She seems smart, funny, and tough, but nice. Kent appeared in a couple of the Kane Richmond Shadow pictures with Barbara Read, another Durbin veteran.
    MISSÃO%20PERIGOSA%202. image-w856.

Peggy Moran cut short her movie career when she married, director, Henry Koster, but Koster always put Moran in his movies via placing a bust of her somewhere on the set.
    PeggyMoran_zpsjsphmnjg. 567419037-612x612.

Another bit of Peggy Moran trivia, for those interested in the arts, is that she's the daughter of, cheesecake/leg art painter, Earl Moran.
    2a2076c211f5e022c66c21ee99fdc40b--earl-moran-performing-arts. gemini-pin-up. marilyn-monroe-with-pinup-artist-earl-moran.
    Earl Moran with model Marilyn Monroe.

YouTube: 70 minute theatrical print KING OF THE COWBOYS: