1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Message #201 of 236 Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    BELLS OF SAN ANGELO, on GRIT this morning, was a 53 minute B&W version. Even the famous fist fight where Roy gets beat up is edited out!! It had a MCA-TV logo at the beginning and end, in place of any Republic logo. Edited version of the title card. World Vision/Spelling logo at the end.

But!!! This B&W cut version did have a scene that is missing from from all the 75 min. unrestored Trucolor versions I have seen around. At the point where Dale Evans arrives on the bus there is a bit of extra picture and dialog with Dale asking Andy Devine if he's the famous Border Investigator, Roy Rogers. The Dale gets captured scene mentioned above is also missing on this print too. I have never seen a full 78 minute version, even in B&W, of BELLS OF SAN ANGELO. All the other lost or partially lost Rogers Trucolors at least have full B&W versions around. Bells%20of%20San%208. 05post.
    Notice Revival posters don't mention Trucolor. Black and white prints were sent out?

That YouTube upload of DON"T FENCE ME IN, (post#199), is missing a version of the song "Don't Fence Me In", by Roy and The Pioneers right before the scene where Dale searches Gabby's room.

Just for Fun: Jack Benny as wild and wooly "Buck Benny". Cowboy-Costumes2.

BELLS OF SAN ANGELO- 75 min. version unrestored Trucolor:

2. Message #202 of 236 Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    RAINBOW OVER TEXAS-1946, 65-66 minutes Black & White and survives uncut.

Rainbow%20over%20Texas.
    Republic Home Video came up with a good uncut theatrical print of RAINBOW OVER TEXAS for the 1998 VHS release. It starts up with the 1998 Republic/Spelling/Artisan logos, but is followed by the correct period Republic Independence Hall logo, followed by the theatrical release title card "Republic Pictures Presents". It has the original "The End, A Republic Production." over the final action of the movie, but not the period logo. It has the Republic /Spelling/Artisan logo instead.

00b%20bb.

Roy and the Pioneers are film and radio stars in this one and features a montage with songs from previous movies as they go on the road with their musical act. There are loads of songs including those with Dale.

Dale is a fan of Roy, and is also the kind of madcap heiress we see often in classic movies, who runs away from a domineering, but comedic, father. She winds up in a train box car disguised as a boy. Roy, the Pioneers, and Trigger are in the car too. Roy is not fooled.

03%20bb.
    Gabby is the Sheriff.

16%20bb. 1428-61.
    The crime plot concerns, Sheldon Leonard and Keene Duncan, crooked gambling, murder, and a relay race.
    13%20BB. Leonard runs a gambling joint/dinner theater with musical acts.
    Rainbow.
    There is a neat musical number with cute JoAnn Dean leading the Republic dancers, all dressed as cowgirls, roping Roy into their act, to sing the title song. Miss Dean is really all over the place in the parts of the movie set at Sheldon's place. Someone must have liked her. I sure did.
    Rainbow%20(2). 1428-31.
    I looked JoAnn Dean up and there is not much listed for her at IMDB. But an online bio said she was an ice dancer, and was in a hundred movies, apparently uncredited dancing chorus parts. She is famous for portraying Snow White at the 1955 opening of Disneyland.

snow-white2.
    There are continuity errors during the relay horse race. Roy is supposed to ride Trigger for the last leg of the race, and ride other palominos in relay leading to Trigger. But Roy is seen riding Trigger before the last relay multiple times, in between the other palominos.

This is a fun Roy Rogers movie. It's worth seeking out uncut if you are not afraid of RHV VHS or YouTube. I don't know if RAINBOW is uncut on any of the Rogers PD DVD
    collections.
    1428-84.

Uncut RAINBOW OVER TEXAS on YouTube posted by Roy and Dale's daughter.

It is very unusual for Gabby and Trigger to be missing from the finale in a Roy Rogers movie. Gabby usually sang along with Roy and the gang or sat on the side lines mugging with other comedy relief players. Gabby and Trigger are in the publicity photo of the finale above. Every reference book says RAINBOW is 65 minutes, and that is what the VHS and YouTube upload are.

So what happened? Was a scene lost or destroyed in the original editing process? Did they forget to film it? Was Gabby and or Trigger having a bad day? Maybe Gabby went home and Trigger went back to the home ranch before anyone noticed the scene was not filmed, and it was too late budget wise to call them back??

3. Message #203 of 236 Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    SUNSET SERENADE-1942, B&W
    ROY%20SUNSET%20SERENADE%20TITLE%20CARD%20A%20bb.
    SUNSET SERENADE is another uncut 57-58 minute Roy Rogers out there. It's available from Sinister Cinema in both DVD-R and VHS. I still have the VHS and did not know SC later released a disc. SC usually cleans up their disc releases, so if anyone has it, let us know how it is, ditto the SC version on Amazon Prime. (There are uploads of the cut version on Amazon Prime, too, so be careful.) My old SC VHS looks nice, by the way.

The Sinister print is a theatrical print with the proper logos front and back with matching music, and technical credits at the end. (At some point, years later, the technical credits would in the front, with only THE END and the logo, at the end of the film.)
    1942%2009%2014%20Sunset%20Serenade%20Sandman%20Lullaby%20-%20JF.

Sweet Helen Parrish comes west with her infant ward, the heir to a ranch. She meets Roy, Gabby, and The Sons of the Pioneers, on the way, and asks them for their help. Funny bit when Helen flatters Gabby into catching a passing cow, so the baby can have milk. Helen Parrish was only 35 when she died,(cancer), and was married to John Guedel, the producer of YOU BET YOUR LIFE, with Groucho Marx.

Helen Parrish with Trucolor Rogers costar Jane Frazee.
    jane-frazee-and-helen-parrish-wearing-everett. Helen%20Parrish.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Joan Woodbury, who has been running the ranch, and was promised by the deceased that the ranch would go to her, throws in with Onslow Stevens, and his henchmen, Roy Barcroft and Jack Ingram, to trick Helen Parrish into selling the ranch, cheap.
    1942%20Sunset%20Ser.

How about that wringer washing machine.
    Suns8.
    Suns%20ser%20(2).
    Sunset%20Serenade%202.

Of course, Roy puts a stop to that! There's a nice Lydecker Brothers dam burst/explosion. All in all a satisfying Rogers movie with action, comedy, and good songs. Gabby and Roy sing with an Irish accent in one number.
    suns7.

Gabby sings!

YouTube: SUNSET IN THE WEST full except no end credits.

Gary OS, Bert Greene and ponset like this.
  4. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

I always liked Helen Parrish, even though I seem to always recall her most as the really nasty nemesis to Deanna Durbin in "First Love" (1939), which was a reworking of the old Cinderella tale. Parrish also showed up as Lumpy Rutherford's mother in an early "Leave it to Beaver" episode. I sometimes wondered if she might have continued in the role, and been a semi-regular along with Richard Deacon as the series wore on, had she not passed away so young and unexpectedly.

Tony Bensley, Gary OS and Bob Gu like this.
  5. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    I remember noticing Helen Parrish, as Mrs. Rutherford, in that LITB episode and thinking, "who's that? That Fred Rutherford did all right for himself". This was pre internet and pre DVD for me and I had to resort to Halliwell's Filmgoers Companion, and a TV players book, by Brooks and Marsh, to look her up. (That year a local station was running LITB and RACKET SQUAD, back to back, and another station was showing PUBLIC DEFENDER. I was in rerun heaven for awhile.)

I need to revisit the Deanna Durbins, I have, and see what I still don't have. It's fun collecting famous actresses who didn't make a ton of movies, i.e. Eleanor Powell. Or more obscure ones that started out strong and faded away, like Evalyn Knapp. Thanks to Warner Archive, and, being undemanding, Alpha, I have a nice chunk of Knapp's filmography.

(Sorry about mixing up my Serenades and Sunsets above.)

Bert Greene and Gary OS like this.
  6. Bert Greene

Yep, Evalyn Knapp is another. I have a great original Elmer Fryer portrait still of her, which I bought decades ago. Knapp's poverty-row and WB films are luckily rather easily found. The Columbia ones are considerably harder. I've been wanting to see "State Trooper" (1933), with Knapp and Regis Toomey, for eons. Always hoped the Sony Archive might make it available, like they did with Knapp's "Air Hostess" from the same year. She also made several non-western films with Tim McCoy at the studio as well. I have a copy of "Police Car 17," but have yet to see "A Man's Game" or "Speed Wings." I think the former is around in collectors' circles, but I believe the latter is particularly rare, unless a copy has shown up in recent years. There was also a Columbia film she did with Jack Holt, which I've wanted to see, entitled "This Sporting Age." She was also in Paramount's "The Vanishing Frontier" (1932), with Johnny Mack Brown, but the film is a bit of a stinker, with Brown rather ineffectually portraying a Mexican bandit-type.

Bob Gu and RBailey like this.
  7. Message #207 of 236 Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Elmer Fryer, I'll be looking his work up. I like the old movie star photos, very artistic in the lighting.

460477_Air-Hostess-1933.

AIR HOSTESS is a entertaining movie, the Sony MOD is really sharp and shot yesterday looking. That stunt with the plane and train, at the end, is exciting. And without looking again, I don't remember if it was a real plane and train, or a combination with models. I love Evalyn Knapp's energy.
    1384344500_5.

I was hoping for more westerns from Sony MOD. A few more Wild Bill Elliott Columbia westerns showed up on OTA stations, looking great. Mill Creek came out with that very inexpensive 10 movie set of Charles Starrett westerns. I have not picked that up yet, but I am interested in watching Smiley Burnette's sidekick hat shrink over the years.
    df77c3e983f415a9dd9aa6760bce007c.
    04_Frontier OutpostA 1950.

SERENADE'S, evil lady, Joan Woodbury is another one I like.
    Joan Woodbury in Sunset Serenade (1942).
    93ca25af99186df3b6f30eb76d8a9129.
    As Brenda Starr:
    billy-benedict-brenda-starr.
    bsr11.

ponset, Bert Greene and Mysto like this.
  8. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    William Witney's 1950 TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD has been listed on Turner Classic Movies advance December schedule. It's slated to air at 8:00 p.m. eastern time on Saturday, December 15th as part of TCM's schedule of Christmas themed films. This is a terrific entry in the Roy Rogers series as Roy and his friends from Republic Pictures help fight Christmas tree rustlers trying to put the retired Jack Holt and his ranch out of business. Rex Allen, Allan "Rocky" Lane, Monte Hale, Tom Tyler, Ray Corrigan, Tom Keene and others make cameo appearances. It's a neat Republic western and it's nice to see it finally shown as a Christmas movie. I hesitated to post this because sometimes there are changes in TCM's schedule but it has been listed on a couple of other websites. Let's hope it's the unedited color version as well.

9. Message #209 of 236 Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    KING OF THE COWBOYS-1943, B&W. 70 minutes in the original release version, 67 minutes in the armed forces version, with alternate scenes, and 53 minutes in the cut for TV version.

All the reference books say this is 67 minutes, but the 70 minute version exists in the collector market, and is on YouTube. Sinister Cinema has the 67 minute alternate armed forces version, on VHS, only, I think. Republic Home Video only released the 53 minute version of the 70 minute version, on VHS.

What's an armed forces version? According to R.M.Hurst's "Republic Studios: Between Poverty Row and the Majors", during World War II the Office of War Information was concerned that movie villain characters turning out to be people who should be pillars of the community would be bad for morale, especially for the service members.

In "Republic Confidential: Vol.1", Jack Mathis specifically mentions changes made to KING OF THE COWBOYS: "In order to soft peddle the plot of domestic sabotage activity, destruction sequences of an exploding warehouse and bridge were edited out, and an extra Sons of the Pioneers song was added to all prints shown to the armed forces".

I have the three versions of KOTC, but have never done a side by side viewing of them to see how accurate the above description, of the changes, is.

The big change was filming new scenes with Lloyd Corrigan, as Kraley. In the original 70 minute version Kraley is the Governor's secretary, and is seen with Roy and Smiley Burnette, in the Governor's outer office, and later, as the secretary with the Governor, and a group of bigwigs. In the 67 minute version, the scene with Kraley, Roy, and Smiley is gone, and when we see Kraley with the Governor, Kraley is one of the bigwigs. The change was made to not have Kraley be part of the government. The headlines on the newspapers at the end change a bit too.
    th28TP1RGV.
    Lloyd Corrigan was a frequent Roy Rogers co-star. Here he is with Roy in SON OF PALEFACE:
    500px-SoP-002.

The story: The Governor, Russell Hicks, has recruited Roy and Smiley to track down a ring of saboteurs.
    thOHHJ0DON.

Roy follows a slim lead to a traveling show headed by Gerald Mohr. Roy, Smiley, and later, the Pioneers join the show. It's a fast paced adventure, with very familiar western songs.
    geraldmohr-kingofcowboys. q67MRwgxqjqPIe5PqjncMQK8lUu.

Peggy Moran is the female lead and has a sidekick of her own in Dorothea Kent.
    cea6c1164449c2b8ba689b1ad3e121bf--classic-actresses-old-pictures.

Like Helen Parrish, Moran and Kent were both in Deanna Durbin movies. I enjoy Dorothea Kent when she shows up in a movie. She seems smart, funny, and tough, but nice. Kent appeared in a couple of the Kane Richmond Shadow pictures with Barbara Read, another Durbin veteran.
    MISSÃO%20PERIGOSA%202. image-w856.

Peggy Moran cut short her movie career when she married, director, Henry Koster, but Koster always put Moran in his movies via placing a bust of her somewhere on the set.
    PeggyMoran_zpsjsphmnjg. 567419037-612x612.

Another bit of Peggy Moran trivia, for those interested in the arts, is that she's the daughter of, cheesecake/leg art painter, Earl Moran.
    2a2076c211f5e022c66c21ee99fdc40b--earl-moran-performing-arts. gemini-pin-up. marilyn-monroe-with-pinup-artist-earl-moran.
    Earl Moran with model Marilyn Monroe.

YouTube: 70 minute theatrical print KING OF THE COWBOYS:

Mysto, Bert Greene, ponset and 2 others like this.
  10. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    IDAHO-1943, B&W, 70 Min. reference book run time.

I have the DVD-Rs from Sinister Cinema and VCI, plus a DVD from Alpha. All three seem to be from the same theatrical print source, and run over 68 min. The VCI and Sinister do have the correct Republic logo at the beginning and end, with the proper music, but do not have the technical credits. The Alpha does not have the logos at either end.

The VCI starts up with a clip of Roy riding up on Trigger, and Roy saying the Roy Rogers Riders Club prayer. The clip is in Trucolor, so this clip would not have been at the beginning of an original theatrical release print of IDAHO, and is post APACHE ROSE, 1947.

Additional extras on the VCI release are a revival trailer for UNDER NEVADA SKIES-1946, and a B&W re-release trailer for Trucolor SUNSET IN THE WEST-1950. They sent out B&W prints of the Trucolors for re-releases. The Sinister release has revival trailers for IDAHO and LIGHTS OF OLD SANTE FE-1944.

The prints have choppy sound in spots and that might account for some of the lost run time. There does seem to be a jump in the film where Roy and Smiley stopped to talk to someone, possibly to find out which trail Ranger Bob and the Judge took, out of town, ahead of an angry mob. And there may be a missing scene with Earl Hodgins, as a bartender, maybe with Onslow Stevens. Hodgins is clearly seen, but not listed in the credits.

All the songs listed at the Bob Nolan site, as being in IDAHO, are in the movie. The 68 plus min. versions of IDAHO are always listed, by sellers, as uncut. The IDAHO trailer sound actually clears up some dialog that has a lost word or two in the main feature.

I guess I'd give a slight edge to the VCI version, but the Sinister is good too, plus it has the IDAHO trailer.

1a.

The plot concerns Judge Harry Shannon's attempt to close down Ona Munson's gambling establishment, because it is a bad influence on the town and the boys at the ranch the Judge runs.

The boys are played by the Robert Mitchell Boy Choir, and they sing, "Holy, Holy, Holy", at the start of the movie in a very nice and warm church scene. The Choir appeared in 27 movies, some with Roy, Hoppy, Blondie, and even Bing.

YouTube: Start of IDAHO with "Holy, Holy, Holy"

The Judge has a dark secret, and Ona Munson, and her gang, Dick Purcell, Hal Taliaferro, Tris Coffin, and Arthur Hohl try to use the secret against the Judge.

State Rangers Roy and Onslow Stevens have a friendly rivalry over the Judge's daughter, Virginia Grey.
    5a.

Virginia Grey is very appealing, and Ona Munson is great, as the villainess. The Rogers movies have many "good" female villains.

I enjoyed the music in this one.

YouTube: 68 min IDAHO:

11. Bert Greene

Speaking of Ona Munson brings to mind one of the more offbeat stashes of collectibles I've run across. About 25 years ago, in a dinky, ramshackle East Texas antique store, I ran across a box of old 1940s radio transcription discs. Mostly 16-inch, one-sided discs, the majority of them were circa-1946 recordings of a talk show Ona Munson hosted, entitled "In Town Tonight." The box they were in was the actual mailing box they were sent, from NY to Hollywood, addressed directly to Miss Munson, postmarked 1949. I bought the whole box for something like twenty bucks. The store owner seemed to have no clue where they came from. The discs were in virtually untouched condition. I didn't have the equipment to play 16-inch discs, but there were a few 12-inch ones, and I gave them a listen. Sort of a hoity-toity 'high society' themed talk show, with interviews by Munson of people I'd never heard of. It wasn't terribly interesting, I'm afraid.

The exasperating footnote to this is that when I got hit by a really bad hurricane in 2005, this box of discs which I had safely stored upright in a second-story room, nonetheless received water damage. It caused the shellac to break away from the metal center of the discs, ruining them. As someone keen on preservation and restoration of historical artifacts, it rather killed me to have these likely one-of-a-kind transcriptions perish under my care, blandly uninteresting though they might be.

But it still intrigues me, how these discs, the personal property of Ona Munson (who took her own life back in the mid-1950s), managed to remain all those years in the same mailing box, and found their way to a run-down, hole-in-the-wall antique store in small town Texas. A mystery that will never be solved.

12. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Bert, your post is interesting on so many levels: the mystery of the discs and their travels, forgotten stars, forgotten radio shows, old tech, collecting and accumulating stuff, and what happens to it all in the end.

I doubt if anything I have accumulated is really worth anything, outside of my own interest, but even I have a few one of a kind items, that will be thrown out by relatives in the future.

I was looking up Ona Munson's radio show and found a reference to it in an article about Lee Miller, a model and World War II frontline photo-journalist. So I guess some episodes are still around. And now I have a new obscure celebrity to research.

Gary OS and RBailey like this.
  13. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    ALONG THE NAVAJO TRAIL-1945 B&W 66 minutes original runtime.
    NvTr%20bb.
    I have the Republic Home Video VHS from 1998 and it is 66 minutes. This was released under the Artisan/Spelling regime and has their logos, instead of the proper period Republic logos. It does appear to be a theatrical print, and has a proper THE END, but no period logo at the end. The technical credits, at this time, were at the front of the movie. The tape and the sepia style box incorrectly list the runtime as 60 minutes, but it is 66 minutes.

08%20Along%20the%20Navajo%20Trail.
    Dale's father, Sam Flint, is being harassed into selling his ranch to Douglas Fowley with henchman Roy Barcroft henching. They want to buy the ranch for a shady group that wants to build an oil pipeline across the land. 02b%20bh%20(1).
    Roy is an undercover detective, investigating the murder of another detective.
    v%20(4b).

There is a cute romance brewing between Roy and Dale. With her bright blonde hair, Dale looks like Carole Landis, in this one .

u2.
    u3.
    Estelita Rodriguez appears in her first movie with Roy and Republic. She and Dale sing a lot and compete for Roy.
    07c%20%20bb%20(5).
    w%20bb%20(4).
    02a%20bb%20(4).
    Comedy is provided by Gabby being bamboozled by Estelita's father, Nestor Paiva, over a horse deal.
    05b%20Along%20the%20Navajo%20Trail%209.
    The musical highlight, along with the title song, and the scenes with the dancers, is Bob Nolan and the Sons of the Pioneers singing, "Cool Water".
    07d%20bb%20(7).
    Along%20Bob%202.
    I don't see any uncut version on YouTube. Amazon Prime lists it as available and 66 minutes, but reviews which don't specify what they were actually watching say it is not? The 1998 RHV VHS isn't showing on Amazon at this time.
    08b.

ponset, Tony Bensley, RBailey and 2 others like this.
  14. Bert Greene

I was always rather fascinated over actor Douglas Fowley's amazing career route: In his early days, he completely specialized in playing slick, wiseguy East Coast gangster-types, replete with pencil mustache. But towards the final few decades, he had converted over to playing the most grizzled of westerners, virtually in the vein of Gabby Hayes. Such an odd arc for an actor. But I enjoyed him in both.

I think I remember him most from the cleverly-plotted "The Glass Alibi" (1946-Rep), playing one of his usual rotters, alongside Paul Kelly, Maris Wrixon, and Anne Gwynne.

Bob Gu, Gary OS and RBailey like this.
  15. Message #215 of 236 Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Douglas Fowley was always a favorite. He's played "Kipp" the toothless guy always losing his false teeth in BATTLEGOUND-1949. I think he may have lost his teeth in WWII service.
    Douglas%20Fowley%20%20Battleground%20(1949). battlegroundbastogne.
    Douglas Fowley.
    Press_Photo_Pistols_N_Petticoats_Ann_Sheridan_Douglas_V_Fowley_-_cvp72153.
    KCI-74.
    fowley d.
    douglas_fowley___jitterbugs.

And he was, of course, Doc Holiday on the WYATT EARP TV series. and also old Doc Fabrique.
    c98a6083fd66f16022ef2e7428bc5413--wyatt-earp-hugh-obrian.
    d8dc1d2f1e0cb1124e6c05c576f324ee--hugh-o-brien-wyatt-earp.

Fowley was replaced in EARP, from the end of the 3rd season to the beginning of the 5th, by Myron Healey. I guess Fowley was unavailable or ill, because he returned early in season five. Earlier, he even came back as Doc Fabrique in an episode with Healey as Doc Holiday.
    1958-Wyatt Earp 3.39-GoG buttressing 10.
    8a99d0e65a83037754fb89a997af1585.

Because of that switch Fowley and Healey were two of the first actors whose real names I learned.

Healey grew a mustache for Doc Holiday and suddenly his character on SWAMP FOX, filmed at the same time, had one too.
    1959-renard-14. swampfox-2.

ponset and Bert Greene like this.
  16. Message #216 of 236 Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    HOME IN OKLAHOMA-1946 B&W, 72 min, original runtime.
    0%20bh%20(8).
    Of the four versions I have, all from a theatrical print, and running 72+ mins., the Sinister Cinema DVD-R is the most complete, with the correct Republic logos, fore and aft.

Roy is the editor of the local paper and Dale is an out of state reporter, wanting to do a story on the transfer of ownership of a big ranch after the death of the original owner.

Home%20in%20OK%20b.
    02%20Lanny%20Rees%20bb.
    The dead man left Roy a clue, pointing to murder. Roy and Dale bump heads on the best way to proceed.
    Home%20in%20OK%20(2).
    Home%20in%20OK2.
    The obvious suspect is Carol Hughes as the niece of the man, aided by her foreman, Ralph Meeker. I always liked Carol Hughes and like her performance here, especially. She's best known for being the second Dale Arden in FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE-1940. Carol was Roy's first leading lady in, UNDER WESTERN STARS-1938.
    Buster-Crabbe-and-Carol-Hughes-as-Flash-Gordon-and-Dale-Arden.
    01%20bh.
    Carol Hughes was married to Frank Faylen, Herbert T. Gillis, of DOBIE GILLIS. Their daughter was married to Regis Philbin. I wonder if Faylen ever practiced that Dobie line, "I gotta kill that boy, someday, I just gotta.", on Regis. Faylen was in many westerns playing tough gunmen like "Whitey" in WHISPERING SMITH.
    MV5BMTU2NzE1NjcxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjYwNDIyMjE@._V1_.
    e5d57c5b2b085819fd50adaca31e9fa1.

Dale and Roy wind up in hot water with the law, but that doesn't stop them from browbeating Arthur Space.
    Home%20in%20OK.
    a.
    The movie has peppy musical numbers.
    00a%20bb.
    1520-45.
    There's a big shootout at the end between the good guy ranchers and the ranch run by the murderer, but since only the boss and one or two other riders are shown being involved with the murder plot, it seems kind of unfair and hard on the regular working stiffs on both sides. That's what the pulp westerns call "riding for the brand".
    10bh.
    Roy%20(1a)%20bb.
    Home%20in%20Oklahoma%20insert.

HOME IN OKLAHOMA- 72 min. YouTube but missing front end Republic Logo.

17. Bert Greene

I always liked "Home in Oklahoma" (1946). In fact, I have that very title-card to the film that is pictured, in great shape. The only vintage Rogers title-card I own, although I have a few other scene cards, from other films of his. Lanny Rees, who plays the kid in the film later played Junior in the earlier, 1949-50 Jackie Gleason tv-version of "Life of Riley." Although, that very same year as this Rogers film, he starred in a rather popular matinee-feature of the day, "My Dog Shep" (1946). I talked to him a bit about it when he made an appearance at a film festival over a decade ago. Interesting guy, who spent a career in the military and national defense after his youthful movie efforts.

Professor Echo, Gary OS and Bob Gu like this.
  18. Message #218 of 236 Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    HANDS ACROSS THE BORDER-1944, B&W, ref. book runtime 72-73 minutes.
    a (11).

I have the Roan Group DVD release, copyright 1999, which runs 69:54 minutes. It's a theatrical print, with proper Republic logos and credits, and Roan obtained this print from, the film director, Joe Kane's collection.
    a (1).

HANDS ACROSS THE BORDER costars Ruth Terry, Quinn "Big Boy" Williams, Duncan Renaldo, Onslow Stevens, Mary Treen, The Sons of the Pioneers, as usual, plus numerous specialty musical, comedy, and dancing acts. a (3).
    a (4).
    a (9).
    This was the movie made just after, Republic chief, Herbert Yates was impressed by the stage musical OKLAHOMA in 1943. HANDS has two long musical sequences or reviews, plus other songs throughout the movie, including the 13 minute finale. More than 20 minutes of musical content.
    a (5).
    a (7).
    a (8).
    a (6).

There are some stunts with Trigger and a big horse race sequence that features cheating on both sides. But nobody is arrested or disqualified. The race ends and the scene fades to the lead up to the finale. It seem seems to me there should be a scene with Onslow Stevens conceding the race. Perhaps that is the missing two minutes, but Roan says on the sleeve art that this is the complete version.
    a (2).

There is no crime plot in this film. The story has another version of Roy meeting Trigger. Ruth Terry plays a Broadway star , who has come to the home ranch for a visit. After her father is killed in an accident with Trigger, she has to decide to sell or not sell the ranch, to Onslow Stevens, or try to run it herself.
    Ruth Terry in Republic's PISTOL PACKIN' MAMA- 1943
    a (1).

YouTube: HANDS ACROSS THE BORDER: 69:54 min.

This old Roan release is a double sided DVD with a 53 minute version of Roy's second Republic starring movie, BILLY THE KID RETURNS-1938,B&W, on the other side of the DVD. Costars Mary Hart and Smiley Burnette. This is one of Roy's historical westerns. Roy plays Roy, Billy the Kid, and Roy pretending to be Billy the Kid. It was originally 58 minutes, with the missing bits believed lost.
    s-l1000.
    gettyimages-128008506-612x612.
    billykid2.

BILLY THE KID RETURNS-1938 YouTube 53 min, version

Flashgear and Bert Greene like this.
  19. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    Merry Christmas!!!! Roy's TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD is scheduled to air on Turner Classic Movies on Saturday, December 15th at 8 p.m. eastern time.

20. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    A fantastic Christmas western! Hope the print is solid.

Gary “TCM has a decent Christmas schedule this year” O.

Flashgear and Bert Greene like this.