1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    GRIT has also recently shown the Republic Trucolor, CATTLE QUEEN OF MONTANA -1958 with Barbara Stanwyck, they full screened it. Like OKLAHOMA ANNIE, CATTLE QUEEN is a three-color Trucolor.

GRIT has a Roy Roger double feature on Sunday 4/22/18 7AM to 10:30AM, EST.

SOUTH OF CALIENTE- 1951 B&W, This is the next to last Roy Rogers Republic with Dale Evans and Pinky Lee. Hour and a half slot, might be uncut should be 67-68 minutes.

SPRINGTIME IN THE SIERRAS- 1947 TRUCOLOR. It is showing in a two hour slot so it should be the full 74-75 minute version. I wonder if it will be the privately restored version available from Film Chest and Alpha, or the older print?

Bert Greene likes this.
  2. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

One of the Cinecolor westerns I'd like to see looking spruced up is "Rose of Cimarron" (1952), with Mala Powers. Fox released it, but I don't think produced it, and probably isn't part of their library (sort of like that Randolph Scott / Nat Holt trio), I'm assuming. I've never seen a really decent print of this one. No idea who the rights are with. Ditto for the Cinecolor "Rogue River" (1950), a rather interesting modern-day crime film, shot entirely on location in rural, small-town Oregon. It featured Rory Calhoun and Peter Graves (in his first film), and usually gets categorized as a western. Used to occasionally pop up on the late-late-show, many moons ago.

Sure would like to see some quality remasterings of these two, in addition to the Rogers films. Some of those color Monte Hale features would also be welcome, come to think of it.

Steve...O and Bob Gu like this.
  3. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    The Encore Western channel ran some Monte Hale Magnacolor westerns a few years ago. The ones I saw were HOME ON THE RANGE (1946) and CALIFORNIA FIREBRAND (1948). IIRC, they looked restored to me, but don't quote me on that.

Bob Gu likes this.
  4. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

Good. I hope that's the case. I remember "Home on the Range" and "Out California Way" circulating in the pre-cable days, and then later on seeing most of the later b&w Hale titles back when I first had Encore Westerns in the late-1990s. At a film festival I saw a b&w print of the color "Along the Oregon Trail" (1947), and thought I recalled some scuttlebutt about it being a title in which color prints were impossible to find. I don't know if this was just in reference to collecting circles or perhaps a more grave situation akin to some of the problems with those Roy Rogers films.

Bob Gu likes this.
  5. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    SOUTH OF CALIENTE and SPRINGTIME IN THE SIERRAS, shown on GRIT today, were both uncut.

CALIENTE was an O.K. not bad print.

SPRINGTIME IN THE SIERRAS was the best print I have seen on this title. I have a collector copy, and the Film Chest, and Alpha releases. I thought the Film Chest/Alpha releases were an improvement over the collector copy, but looking at all three today, against the print shown on GRIT, I was wrong.

The colors on the print shown on GRIT are very clean, natural and even toned looking to me, and the contrast is excellent and details in the dark areas, that were lost in the other three versions, are clearly seen. The GRIT SIERRAS print is not as sharp or colorful as the Rogers Kinos, but a big improvement on what was around before.

It's nice to hope, Paramount is providing GRIT with better material on Roy Rogers. And also hope the not good enough for Blu-Ray Republics can still make it to DVD.

Bert Greene, RBailey and ChrisALM like this.
  6. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    These trailers show three Republic Trucolor westerns that I hope may be in the running for release by Kino or Olive....HELLFIRE, THE OUTCAST, and THE PLUNDERERS.

Bert Greene likes this.
  7. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera

8. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera

Steve...O likes this.
  9. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Great video; thanks for sharing. Of course the great irony is that in many cases, classic film fans prefer the B films over the A ones. Their repeated exposure on TV during the nostalgia boon of the 70s certainly helped plus the fact that many of them are quite enjoyable.

10. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I haven't seen a ton, but I've enjoyed the heck out of every Republic b-movie western that I have seen.

ChrisALM and Bob Gu like this.
  11. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    THE GOLDEN STALLION-1949 Another Roy Rogers Trucolor is being shown tomorrow on GRIT at 6 A.M. to 7:30 A.M. (It will be on again on May 19 and 23.)

This was one of the Trucolor Rogers that was released on VHS by Republic Home Video in the early 90's. It was complete, but not restored and kind of dark.

After seeing that very nice SPRINGTIME IN THE SIERRAS on Grit, I am hoping for THE GOLDEN STALLION to be in better condition now, too. We will see.

12. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Saturday's GRIT broadcast of THE GOLDEN STALLION was uncut.

Compared to the old Republic Home Video print, the GRIT print is centered better and the opening credits do not hit the top and run off the left side of the screen like they do on the VHS. The too dark issue of the VHS is also gone. The Grit print is clear and generally very nice, but too greenish on some things like denim jackets, pants, and overalls. Those should still look more blue than green in Trucolor. The denim was greenish on the old VHS too. That is the mark of a proper Trucolor restoration... blue looking... blue jeans.

I never saw the TCM print that was talked about in this thread in 2011. So I don't know if the GRIT print is the same one or something newer.

13. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp

When I read your post, I was baffled. I have the Republic Home Video VHS edition of THE GOLDEN STALLION and I never noticed those problems. I’ve always considered it one of the best VHS editions in my collection (and far superior to the old Nostalgia Merchant VHS editions of Roy Rogers Trucolor titles), so I took it off the shelf and popped it into my VCR and I don’t see anything like what you describe. The opening credits are all properly centered, the image is not dark at all and the denim is properly blue.

Have you considered the quality of the monitor you last watched the tape on? Some CRT monitors had problems with what used to be called “overscanning,” so that you lost image on each of the sides. It was a problem with subtitled tapes because the titles used to dip below the frame if you watched the tape on such a monitor. And color quality would be wildly inconsistent from TV set to TV set.

For the record, I checked my tape on a 19-inch flatscreen Insignia.

Bob Gu likes this.
  14. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Thanks for the feedback, Brian. I have the 1991 VHS from Republic Home Video. When I found out, at another message board, in 2005, about the 1998 release of the restored SUNSET IN THE WEST, a re-release of another restored Trucolor was mentioned. I thought it was TRIGGER JR., but maybe it was THE GOLDEN STALLION. Could you have the later better re-release of THE GOLDEN STALLION? I bought the SUNSET VHS, but I was never able to track down the re-release of THE GOLDEN STALLION. Looking at my RHV VHS again... It's off center for the technical credits on both a 32" CRT and a 32" LCD. Looks too dark, but on second look the jeans/denim look bluer than I remembered. I still think the GRIT broadcast was too green, but otherwise nice.

The colors on this youtube one look nicer than the GRIT too. Maybe this is from the RHV re-release?

15. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    I'm not sure when I bought my copy, but I did an Amazon review of it in 2002, which would have been not long after I bought it and the Amazon page gives a 1995 release date. The VHS box says that the package design is (c)1991, but the copy could have been made later. Here's what I wrote about the print quality in my Amazon review:

Bob Gu likes this.
  16. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Thanks, again, Brian. Based on your description of the colors, I must have an older version. I would have used your exact description for the 1998 SUNSET IN THE WEST. The eight Rogers Trucolors, from RHV, I bought in 1991 were OK but not stellar. I do have over-scan and maybe darkness issues going on with my CRT/VCR set up. But the tech credits on some of the tapes do veer off the top, left, and bottom, with clear space on the right, and on the LCD too. But on the recent GRIT showings of SPRINGTIME IN THE SIERRAS and THE GOLDEN STALLION, I don't see any too dark issues. The tech credits on the GRIT SIERRAS have space on all four sides, on both the the LCD and the CRT. With the GRIT GOLDEN STALLION, on the LCD the top and sides of the tech credits have space but the bottom of the credits hit the bottom of the screen. On the CRT all four sides of the tech credits butt up against the screen edges.

On THE GOLDEN STALLION, from youtube, when played back on both the LCD and the CRT, the tech credits are centered and there is space on all four sides.

In the past GRIT has shown edited versions of RR movies, even SOUTH OF CALIENTE. GRIT has shown a black and white BELLS OF SAN ANGELO. So I am hoping these better recent showings mean a better quality TV package of Roy Rogers movies may be sneeking out.

17. Message #177 of 243 May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Just noticed Grapevine Video is selling both a DVD-R and Blu-Ray-R of BELLS OF CORONADO. Are they a PD outfit or could they have licensed the same Paramount print that Lion's Gate DVD used in 2005? The Lion's Gate edition is out of print.

18. Message #178 of 243 May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    THE FAR FRONTIER-1948 is the next Roy Rogers movie being shown on GRIT, on Monday June 4, 11:30 P.M. to 1:00 A.M. It will also be shown on Saturday June 9, at 1:00 P.M and Saturday June 23, at 6:00 A.M.

The Far Frontier is one of the lost Trucolors. The full 67 minute black and white version is out there and I hope that is what GRIT will show. Republic Home Video only released a 53 minute B&W version on VHS. Full length B&W versions show up on YouTube and in the collector market.

The Far Frontier is another post-war Roy Rogers movie, directed by William Whitney and written by Sloan Nibley, that has tough action and surprising brutal mass murder, "for a kid's movie", or any other movie, for that matter. The cast is a treat with Gail Davis, Clayton Moore (unmasked), Andy Devine, and Francis Ford. The bad-guys are headed by Robert Strange, with "dog heavy" Roy Barcroft, and Mike Ragan and Lane Bradford, as the henchmen. This is the second Rogers movie with Foy Willing and the Riders of the Purple Sage. They replaced the Sons of the Pioneers starting with GRAND CANYON TRAIL.

Notice Andy Devine wears his six-guns butt forward in his Rogers movies. Devine did that in tribute to Wild Bill Elliott who wore his guns butt forward. Devine side-kicked with Elliot in some of his Republics, earlier. Two of those Elliott's were in Trucolor, HELLFIRE and THE LAST BANDIT. Andy Devine also,later wore his guns butt forward in the WILD BILL HICKOK TV series, as did, the star, Guy Madison.

Bert Greene, ChrisALM and RBailey like this.
  19. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    The GRIT broadcast of THE FAR FRONTIER, last night, was an edited B&W version (52-53 min), with MCA TV Logos on screen at the beginning and end.

Here are two complete 66 min. 41-44sec YouTube B&W versions. I am posting both so you can see that the top one has removed the blacked out Trucolor credit that usually appears under the main title on B&W full length versions, that were released to the smaller towns or the private rental market. Full length versions usually say "Republic Pictures Presents" above the title. Edited versions have "A Republic Production" under the main title.

Bert Greene, RBailey and Steve...O like this.
  20. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Ran across some Roy Rogers stuff of interest.

A 2000 interview with Quentin Tarantino where he talks of William Whitney, Roy, Trigger, and Dale too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/15/movies/whoa-trigger-auteur-alert.html

And a site devoted to Bob Nolan and The Son of the Pioneers. In the Filmography section there are tons of posters, lobby cards, screen grabs, articles, and publicity stills, for all the movies they were in with Roy Rogers and other stars.

http://www.bobnolan-sop.net

RBailey likes this.