1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SIRIUSXM: Still Lazy After All These Years

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Of all the songs that should be put into heavy rotation...THAT ONE's at the top of the list. :D

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    So is the best (only?) way to get a better deal to threaten to cancel? I’ve got three radios and have been paying too much and I don’t even have the internet access. I’d like to add that.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Yes, it's all a game.

You have to threaten to cancel. They will switch you to another operator. Tell that operator you wish to cancel.

You will be offered a lower price. The first offer may not be great. If you say no, the offers will continue.

Usually, there is a 6-month offer. If it's the lowest tier music subscription it may be $30 for 6 months.

If you take it, mark the date on a calendar. When that date is up and you have to renew, play the same game again and ask for the same offer.

It's a shame. You have to play games with these people to get a decent price. However, nobody should be paying full price for the garbage this supposed music service makes you listen to day in and day out.

4. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I was driving with kids today, and I admit, when I listen to the "music" portions of SIRIUS, I tend to listen to the LA or NY "pop" stations. Super repetitive, yep. But, that's mostly what the kids want. Even when I listen to music, I tend to be the same way.. I could listen to the Hamilton/Evan Hansen/Greatest Showman/Heathers/etc and just put them on repeat.

5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

They got me. They got me, and I think they know it.
    Since late summer I have been getting free trials, sometimes a week, sometimes two. I think over all since August I have had about 5 weeks free. I am also getting e-mails from them non stop for deals.

Are they hurting?

Their rock, pop, soul channels I have no interest in. I have a much better, diverse selection in my iTunes library.
    However I love the SPA station. Absolutely love it. New age with synths are my thing, and unlike their other channels there are practically zero repeats. From day to day, I don't think I have heard the same music tracks twice, so much so that I have a pen, and pad of paper ready to write down an especially melodic track down, because chances are I won't hear it again.

Can I justify paying a full price subscription for only one channel? It is a difficult choice, but I think I will.

6. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Odd thing I've noticed since my last promo ran out a couple weeks ago on my 12 year old portable unit I bought years ago for a long vacation. I think my last promo was $5 or 8/month for 12 months. I let it lapse since the best they'd offer was 6 months and I just couldn't handle another 6 month negotiation. At some point they'll offer a $60 for a year for Sirius Select which is fine with me -- don't need Stern or any of the other premiums since I use it for easy access to NPR and a handful of stations

Weird thing is I'm still listening to the unit 2 weeks later despite my account saying it's expired and no CC is attached.
    I suspect it's locked into the last channel I was listening. As long as I don't turn it off or change channels I wonder if it is indefinite or
    at some point it will reboot. Sooner or later I suspect a power outage will kick it out. If I knew the battery held any charge anymore I might unplug it and plug it into my computer UPS, but I think the battery is likely long dead.

Sam Posten likes this.
  7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    David,

Keep us posted on whether the subscription holds or not.

I heard -- at least at one point a few years ago -- that if you cancel your subscription and keep your radio off for a few months, SiriusXM stops sending a cancelation signal to your unit and your subscription remains intact.

Never tried this. But it sounds feasible.

Sam Posten likes this.
  8. Message #128 of 135 Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

As things happen -- I was going to hold out and just listen to the single station, but a new 12 month for $60 promo showed up today ($76 after fees/tax) -- $6 per month I can handle and not have to worry about it for another 12 months.

As soon as I changed the channel I got a "You have no subscription" and I couldn't go back to the original station either.
    Maybe next time I'll try the turn it off routine.

Oh well, at least I don't have to feel like I'm stealing something and more importantly I can change stations.

Looked back and it appears this unit came out in 2005 so not too bad overall investment

9. Ghostgirl71

Ghostgirl71 Auditioning

Stephanie Baker
    I signed up for the music only package, because I'm not a fan of sports or talk radio really, and it was the most inexpensive package.

I signed up primarily because I commute 30 minutes each direction to work, and the terrestrial radio stations where I live are awful at best, and tend to lean very heavily on long commercial breaks.

The stations I listen to the most are 80s, 90s, 2000s, pop rocks, and Lithium. Occasionally I'll drift over to a classic rock or indie channel.

My biggest complaints are:
    Channel 10 (the 2000s channel) may as well be renamed the "Dr.Dre & Eminem" channel, since these artists are repeatedly played over and over, not to mention all of the other radio friendly "rap" music that was trendy back then. Kelly Clarkson,Nelly, and Justin Timberlake are also spun with frequency.

90s on 9 loans too heavily on Nickleback, Red Hot Chili peppers, and Nirvana.

80s on 8, way too much Pat Benatar and Foreigner.

Pop rocks on 17 may as well just be solely dedicated to The Killers and Hootie and the Blowfish.

The channels that rotate through various artists, and dedicate the channel solely to them, go on for way too long. I think maybe two weeks is probably enough, rather than the 3 or 4 months they run.

Some of the channels have DJs. 80s on 8 features the original MTV VJs. Channel 10 has a very annoying woman who sounds like a teenager, and updates listeners on the latest pop star gossip at around 5 PM. I'm paying money to NOT hear rambling DJs for 5 minutes. The display on my radio displays the artist and song, I don't need any more information or "talk", thank you very much.

Hair nation on 39 is one I switch over to when I get sick of hearing Eminem and Nelly on 10. Hair nation features what I call "bubble gum metal".

I'm reconsidering seriously, whether or not this service is even worth paying for anymore.

10. JQuintana

JQuintana Supporting Actor

Johnny
    I wonder if I can sign up for one of these specials I always get in the mail using the SXM gift cards I see for sale at Best Buy? I much prefer using those than having them get their hooks on my credit cards.

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Why?

12. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    I turned off my last SiriusXM radio last night. I am now listing to DASH Radio on my phone. The sound quality sucks (but so does Sirius) but the music is awesome. I have been listening to the "Monsters of Rock" channel for days and have not heard any repeats.

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Sirius will auto renew your subscription at their basic rate once your term is complete if they have a credit card on file. You may have difficulty getting the subscription canceled. My wife used a credit card to pay for a magazine subscription and then had a terrible time cancelling the subscription after it was auto renewed.

A few days ago we received another offer from Sirius - $99 for a three year term. Then I noticed it was only valid for my wife’s 2009 Saturn Vue. They probably figure (rightfully) that we will not have the vehicle for three more years.

14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    When you go for these special offers with SiriusXM you need to put the expiration date on your calendar. As Scott said, SiriusXM is hoping you will forget the expiration and will auto-renew you at full rate.

However, it's all a big game. On your expiration date you have to call and tell them you are canceling service because it's too expensive (which it really is). Chances are, they will connect you with someone who will offer you the same deal again.

Just keep repeating this process. If they don't offer you the deal then cancel. Chances are, a month or two later they will send you a deal through your mail.

It's just amazing the games you have to play with this service when it comes to subscriptions.

There is just no way I am paying full price for the constant repeats of songs that occur on all the channels.

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That is EXACTLY what I do. But I call a couple days ahead, because I don't even want to run the risk of them doing an auto-renew on me.

I still haven't done anything about the fact that Sirius has a new station I want to get (in the 400s, I think) which my car's receiver cannot receive (it only goes up to channel 235).