Geheimagent.Barrett.greift.e... | Famedgram | Bayou Caviar
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Abbott & Costello Complete Universal Pictures Sets: Could A Blu-Ray Version Be Next?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tony Bensley, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Sa5150

Sa5150 Stunt Coordinator

steve
    Is there a chance there planning a bluray set , This price is amazing but some of these are on bluray all ready . I kinda hate buying dvds of movies that I own blurays of .

2. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    The unfortunate consensus seems to be that Universal likely doesn't think the potential sales volume would justify a Blu-ray release.

For the benefit of those who aren't aware, here's a list of the Abbott And Costello Universal Features that are already available on Blu-ray in Region A:

BUCK PRIVATES (1941) - Minus the Bob Furmanek/Ron Palumbo Feature Length commentary
    ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)
    ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY (1955) - Original Aspect Ratio 1.85:1

That two of the most popular A & C Features are already on Blu-ray, especially with the extreme saturation of multiple releases for their most popular "Meet Frankenstein" film, likely doesn't aid in the viability of issuing a Blu-ray set of their complete Universal catalog either, sad to say! Frankly, that this would likely also mean that ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE KEYSTONE KOPS (1955) will never be issued in its original 2:1 aspect ratio (Flat screen zoom features won't fully accommodate that specific AR!), is what bothers me the most!

CHEERS! :)

ChrisALM and Sa5150 like this.
  3. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    Some of the Universal TV Series that were originally released on flippers ultimately received DVD 9 upgrades. Later, Mill Creek released some of those on Bluray. I'm not thinking Universal would let Mill Creek release the A&C films in a set, but that maybe Uni would release some of the films in a Bluray set on their own.

Whatever does or doesn't happen, I'm happy getting the DVD set for the 25 dollars plus change price. It also gives me a reason to go through the films once again, which I haven't done in quite some time.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  4. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    I wonder why they re-released it vertically..Im sure most know this but one set is shaped like a treasure chest and then it was re-released vertically, I guess for those that want to align it with other boxed set that tend to be vertical :)

5. 3D Projectionist

3D Projectionist Second Unit

Lenny
    Just taken delivery of the boys DANCE WITH ME HENRY! 1956 and must congratulate Olive Films for this, Its a really nice transfer to Blu-Ray with our audience really enjoying it up on our 8ft screen although sad to remember Lou passed on just a very short time after it was completed :-(

Thank you Olive and everyone else involved for bringing this to fans on Blu-Ray a valued film here.

Tony Bensley and Gary16 like this.
  6. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Lou's passing was actually more than 2 years after the release of this film, but yeah, his was a life much too short, riddled by numerous bouts of rheumatic fever from late 1942, onward! :(

7. 3D Projectionist

3D Projectionist Second Unit

Lenny
    Would be nice if one day 30ft Bride of Candy Rock had resto to Blu-Ray as well, as we get to older these films have more meaning I feel.
    We will be watching Dance with me Henry! again before very long..