1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TheSteig, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Message #281 of 339 Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    Can I take it that I'm quite likely to have problems with the Film Noir Classic Collection Vol. 4? I see some titles in this set mentioned a few times in the thread. Not sure if testing all the discs will do much, besides annoy me, since it's probably hard to get replacements here anyway. Best to know though. I do have one DVDP (Oppo) that is extremely tolerant of iffy discs, it's not gonna last that much longer either, kinda thought the discs would outlive it though... [Edit: the only disc that looks suspicious is the Crime Wave/Decoy one. These don't look like Cinram discs, based on what I'm used to Cinram discs looking like. But IDK. More: all play without a hiccup. Need to revisit a few titles.]

When this thread started up, I looked at the hundreds of WB titles in box sets on my shelf dedicated to them...and dreaded the thought of having to test-play each. I did look at (not play) a random sampling of the discs and they all looked "perfect", much nicer-looking than most more-recent DVDs I've bought. These WB DVDs were all purchased before BDs existed, so I think before the problem period, except IIRC the set mentioned above.

Darby67 and Richard M S like this.
  2. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Stunt Coordinator

Arthur
    If your new residence is air conditioned, you may not need to be too concerned. Where I was living before had high humidity and no air conditioning (never really needed it because my prior residence was naturally cool). I'm now in a very low humidity climate so my discs may be breathing a sigh of relief. ;) Luckily I have a second copy of the TCM Archives Laurel and Hardy set that was given to me as a gift, and that copy looks great and plays perfectly. I'm still returning the copy I actually paid for if just for the sake of principle (which would be the reason why I would return my rotted DVD copy of The Jazz Singer even though I have already upgraded to the blu-ray).

Darby67 and Tony Bensley like this.
  3. Message #283 of 339 Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Arthur Powell

Arthur
    Well, another Warners release just found itself the newest member of the "send to Sherri" club, and this one actually surprised me - The TCM Archives Garbo Silents Collection. It was released in 2005 (about a year prior to the start of the era of problem discs), but I did purchase it at Costco around 2007 so it's possible it may be from a later pressing. The first disc looks fine, and side 1 of disc 2 looks equally fine. However, side 2 had an odd look to it (the movie on that side of the disc is The Temptress). Instead of being smooth-looking and reflective, it looked dull and grainy. Sensing that something may be awry, I put it into one of my players for a spot check (advancing through the chapters and letting each one play for about thirty seconds). As expected, the movie wouldn't advance pass chapter 13 (how ironic) or a little bit past the move's half-way mark. One final remark - why couldn't they have just kept making these discs the same blasted way as they did in the late 90s and early 2000s! I have Warner discs from 1997 and 1998 (like Mister Roberts) that play perfectly after two decades! Grrrr.....

4. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    We do have AC in the main living room, so hopefully that'll be good enough for the video collection. However, due to space constraints, I'm keeping the bulk of my CDs in the bedroom (In a transparent plastic container!), where the air conditioning is less direct.

CHEERS! :)

Darby67 likes this.
  5. Aunt Peg

Aunt Peg Stunt Coordinator

William Edwards
    I just watched Waterloo Bridge (1940) and it played fine.

Since discovered some of my discs going off I've been making an effort to watch a Warners film every Sunday night, though I'm going on holidays soon for 6 weeks to that will stop that for a while.

Just a quick question: Should I also be checking the really old Warner discs in snapper cases? I have done a spot check on some of them and none of them seem to have problems.

Darby67 likes this.
  6. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    It might not be a bad idea to consider ripping your most favorite or difficult to replace DVDs while you can. The disc to look at, the rip to play. I say that to you, but I'll never do it myself! I did rip all my CDs though, quite a process, but mostly the tagging which the DVDs won't need.

I have similar humidity to you, near the Lake etc., and I haven't noticed any of the CD/DVD/BD rot probs that I've seen mentioned in the forums over the years. Knock on polycarbonate plastic... I store my round playing-objects in a room that has very light heating and A/C. It has a (locking) door partly so guests/house-sitters don't get any ideas, but mostly to keep some control over the environment. I have to suspect that moderation is partly the key, humid/dry and hot/cold cycles are probably worse than keeping it one way or the other, though dry and cool would seem good (I have no actual proof, just in my mind).

Darby67 likes this.
  7. Arthur Powell

Arthur
    Concerning the snapper cases, I would check them if you acquired them in or after 2006. The reason being is that while they may be in the pre-2004 packaging, the discs themselves may be repressings from the defective years. I picked up snapper copies of Arsenic and Old Lace, Splendor in the Grass and the Error Flynn The Prince and the Pauper from Costco around 2007. Figuring they were old stock, I didn't bother to check them until recently, and they had rotted. So, I guess that Warner made an excess amount of the snapper case artwork before 2004 and would use them for the repressings (at least that's the way I've rationalized it). If you acquired the snapper discs before 2006, you're probably safe.

Aunt Peg likes this.
  8. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    I finished watching Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 5 (the pressed disc version released on July 10, 2010 not the burned disc version released on May 23, 2017) and can happily report the all 4 of the following discs (2 films per disc) played perfectly:

Cornered/Desperate
    The Phenix City Story/Dial 1119
    Armored Car Robbery/Crime in the Streets
    Deadline at Dawn/Backfire

9. Message #289 of 339 Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    I finished watching Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 3 and can happily report the all 6 of the following discs played perfectly:

Border Incident
    His Kind of Woman
    Lady in the Lake
    On Dangerous Ground
    The Racket
    Film Noir: Bringing Darkness to Light (documentary)

10. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    I thought this was interesting. I copies this from the internet.

How long will a Blu Ray disc last?
    Conclusion
    Media Estimated Lifespan
    CDs and DVDs 5-10 unrecorded, 2-5 recorded
    Blu-Ray Not certain, probably over 2-5 recorded
    M-Disc 1,000 years (theoretically)
    Hard disk 3-5 years

Does anyone agree with those stats?

11. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    ^ No. Strictly from anecdotal/empirical evidence. Mine and others. My oldest hard disk is ~35 years old and still works. My oldest DVDs are ~20 years old and still work. My oldest CDs are ~30 years old and still work. Etc. I doubt I'm an outlier, except for the HDD (which is the first Winchester consumer model).

I'm sure if you used archival storage methods most of those media could last an extremely long time. The issue would be devices to play them back, keeping those working. Probably.

Suzanne.S and Gary16 like this.
  12. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    I finished watching Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 2 and can happily report the all 5 of the following discs played perfectly:

Born to Kill
    Clash by Night
    Crossfire
    Dillinger
    The Narrow Margin

TheSteig likes this.
  13. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    That does not sound right. If that was the case everyones older CDs & DVDs would have all completely failed by now and physical media would basically die because nobody would purchase something with such a short lifespan unless they watched a particular film on a regular basis.

Suzanne.S, Darby67 and Richard M S like this.
  14. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    Just finished watching Pride and Prejudice (1940) and it played fine. Also of note was that the print it in good condition but would need some restoration for Blu Ray.

Tony Bensley and Darby67 like this.
  15. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, I thought the same thing about it the last time I watched it. It would need some work for Blu-ray.

16. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    I finished watching Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 1 and can happily report the all 5 of the following discs played perfectly:

The Asphalt Jungle
    Gun Crazy
    Murder, My Sweet
    Out of the Past
    The Set-Up

TheSteig and Tony Bensley like this.
  17. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    Just watching Fury (1936) and it played fine.

I'm afraid it's another film that will need a little work for a Blu Ray release.

18. blakey55

blakey55 Auditioning

stephen blake
    just watched storm warning(1950) and the naked spur(1953) both played fine.

19. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    I was able to buy pressed disc replacements of Black Legion and Lady Killer (from Warner Gangsters Collection Volume 3), and Act of Violence/Mystery Street (from Warner Film Noir Collection Volume 4) on Amazon, Ebay, etc.

I watched the pressed disc replacements of Black Legion and Lady Killer this evening and both played perfectly.

I will watch Act of Violence/Mystery Street tomorrow night and will provide an update then.

TheSteig likes this.
  20. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Unfortunately, the replacement pressed disc of Act of Violence/Mystery Street that ordered from Amazon pixelated and froze at the opening WB logo :angry: It's on its way back for a full refund.

I purchased a new pressed disc version from a different seller on Amazon and will update once it arrives.

Aunt Peg and Blimpoy06 like this.