8x116 | Conan - Deon Cole 2018-10-04 | Justo en la Mira | Pharmacology
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What should my next upgrade be?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by greggor, Oct 6, 2018.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I have a dedicated theater room with a 120" fixed screen with hidden components. I upgrade different components almost yearly to keep things current but I have a few items that are older and have been considering "upgrading". Here's what I have, looking for suggestions.

Receiver:
    Pioneer SC67
    Projector:
    Epson 5030
    DVD Player:
    Sony BDP 350 Bluray player.

Muisic:
    Denon DVD 2900 I have this connected to my system via quality composite cables for listening to CD''s only.

DirecTV: Genie

Speakers:
    Front Paradigm Studio 60's V2
    Sides Paradigm Studio ADP V2
    Rear surrounds Paradigm Studio 20's V2
    CC Paradigm Studio CC V2
    Subwoofer is a 12" SVS not sure of the model number but it was bought new in 2006.

My speakers are definitely the oldest equipment I have (purchased new back in 2000) but they sound good and have been very well taken care of and have no signs of wear. How much would I have to spend to replace all of them in my 7.1 set up to hear an improvement?

Is my receiver the weakest link?

My projector is just a few years old and I'm not sure if I'm sold on the benefits of a true 4k projector

I just added a harmony Elite which replaced an old URC 700.

I'm leaning towards buying a 4K DVD player but in the absence of a 4K projector I'm not sure it's worth it. If this was your theater what would you change?

Regards,
    Greg

2. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Auditioning

Dawn Luks
    Hi Greg,

I wouldn't bother upgrading your DVD player until you have a 4K display. That leaves the speakers themselves.

We generally specify speakers based on several factors, the most important of which is room size. With that in mind, if you could answer the questions below I will be able to help you with some suggesitons.

Please tell me your full room size (WxDxH)
    Seating Distance from the front speakers?
    How far the outside seats are from your side walls?
    How far is the last row from your back wall?
    Music/Movies listening -- percentage of each?

Regards,
    Dawn