Salem Serie TV Streaming Download | stronghold crusader II crack | Эмма Сьоберг
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's my Line? question

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Vahan_Nisanain, Mar 17, 2014.

1. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Yes, I thought of that to, that the Drew ones woulds be the ones in rotation, since there's more than enough to run that are out of rotation at CBS.

Ever notice that ever Day Drew looks more and more like Bill Cullen? :)

Interesting info, might also reflect the availability and need in each market - what has already been picked up by local stations.

Since it's on FOX's Owned and Operated stations would have more clout to get "clearances" of their subchannels than a smaller station group.

We're still waiting to get GetTV a year later on Comcast, and it's a subchannel on a Univision station! (along with Bounce) THE WORKS (Which finally got it's act together - MGM/UA/Orion/AIP/ZIV) Has been on for a year on the smaller station (NJR owns them -replaced RTV!) and still hasn't gotten clearances on cable either, (and NRJ carries COZI on two channels - full on .2, and .1 is cleared but with infomercials.

That's great about the response and about yet another lost local series. Boston is about the same for it's local kids shows, 1950-1970's except for the 130 local made for national BOZO Shows (Recorded during production of the local show - they would do the shows without Boston content.) and JABBAWOCKEE (With Tucker Smallwood and Jo Beth Williams!)

2. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    i thought i would start watching the show in chronological order

it seems as if the first 2 episodes are still around

kilgallen was in the first one, and arlene was in the second one without dorothy.

in each episode, those 2 were the only panelists that i liked

i dont mind the challenger walking down the line, and shaking hands, standing on one foot, etc.

i find the free guesses a silly waste of time

GJI likes this.
  3. Sky King

Sky King Stunt Coordinator

John
    I don't watch the Drew Carey version of TRIR, however the few times I've seen it in passing, I also found Drew to be looking more and more like Bill Cullen.

As for local Boston children's programming, WBZ still has a surprising number of its children's program, "Boomtown" many of which have been digitized from the original 2" quad tapes.

Same goes for WHDH which still has a decent 2" quad collection of its children's program "Major Mudd."

In addition to BOZO, WCVB has also saved tapes of its "Captain Bob (Cottle)" show.

So...some stations as you can see, valued their past programming efforts enough to save many of them.

4. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    The first three episodes exist, but then, it becomes very erratic. It isn't until the July 20, 1952 show that it becomes virtually (meaning mostly) consistent.

5. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    hi vahan,

i just watched the 5th episode on youtube, but most of them have been skipped (lost)

it was bennett's first show (he was introduced as a guest panelist)

at least twice now they have shown john daly smoking while he is moderating - this surprises me, but this is also before i was born !!

i dont mind untermeyer, he is okay.

and hal block was okay in the episode that i saw him on, as he did not say anything rude, like i saw him do in the past.

i am getting to dislike, at least a bit, the panelist walking down and meeting requests. some of the requests have been a little bit off the wall, and in my opinion, a little bit improper.

checking someone flexing his arm, and letting everyone know he doesnt have muscles is not something that should be said. asking an older person to do a knee bend is also not something that should have been asked.

i can see that getting out of hand very easily.

6. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    steven allen's first show, as the guest panelist

i liked it when they introduced all the contestants at the beginning of the show, but it looks like they already dropped that format

betty furness makes a good panelist

dorothy hasnt been there the past 2 times, which has been several months in between

arlene seems to be a constant, at this point

7. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    just viewed it - dorothy, bennett, arlene and hal block

the 10th episode on youtube

i was reading thru some of the comments, and noticed that you had made several posts on it

i also see that new episodes are still being found - nice surprise

both the corn pad and hula contestants were quite entertaining

8. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    hi vahan,

these same 4 panelist have now been on for the past 7-10 shows or so

was this the first group of consistent panelists ?

9. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    hal block kissed miss america on the cheek - not in good taste, imo

and even after she shook hands with the other 3 and the camera went back on daly, i think daly was upset with that

10. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Where are you getting your information? I'd love to know you source. I've done quite a bit of research into local Boston television of the years doing freelance media research.

Only a handful of "Boomtown" shows/segments exist- WBZ doesn't have them, but Rex Trailer's estate does. They were the source for the material used in the "Boomtown" documentary a few years ago. Rex was smart enough to retrieve what they did hold years ago.

Over the years, especially when Viacom (Now CBS Television Stations) took over Westinghouse's station. They discarded older material they did not need. Keep in mind the Solider Field Road Building now also houses several radio stations (Besides WBZ) and WSBK-38 (Which discarded loads of material when they moved in!)

NO "Major Mudd" episodes exist AT ALL - WNAC-7 wiped them decades ago and the current WHDH-7 holds NOTHING!. The odd clip or two exits and that is it. They moved studios to Government Center near the tail-end of his time at the station,and much of the non-news local material was discarded even before his show ended. Alot of people have spent decades (Including Ed "Major Mudd" McDonnell's family!) looking for episodes.

As for Bozo - WCVB-5 isn't even the same station as original WHDH-5 was - It was a completely new station taking over the original licence, not a direct successor (Which is why they had to move to new studios in Needham and get a new transmitter,They ended up with nothing but the local talent ) - The 130 Bozo episodes of the WHDH-5 series that exists are the half-hour ones that Larry Harmon had made for national syndication. These were recorded as parts of the local broadcast and are held by Larry Harmon Productions.

As for the status of WCVB-5's "Captain Bob" and "Jabbawokky", those are most likely still held someplace considering they were rerun into the 1990's. Very little local material produced by WCVB
    no longer exists. But then, from day #1 they saw themselves as a local station first,and a network affiliate second.

However, in general Very little of local Boston television exists prior to the mid-1970's, so it would be interesting to know where you're getting your info from.

11. Sky King

Sky King Stunt Coordinator

John
    DeWilson,

Many years ago when WSBK sold their studio on Birmingham Pkwy and moved into the WBZ studios, I took a tour of both WSBK and WBZ as that move was taking place. I had a cousin who worked for WBZ then, and still does and she told me they were in the process of digitizing their video at both WSBK and WBZ. She mentioned that they had a very small number of popular TV 38 programs like "Ask The Manager" and segments from "The Movie Loft" that were undergoing digitization. She also mentioned that the WBZ TV library (don't know how large) of Eyewitness News and other incarnations of WBZ TV News was also being digitized. When I asked about "BoomTown" she said Rex Trailer had most of what remained, but there were several (didn't say how many) Quad 2 tapes here, that were scheduled for digitization. These tapes could have eventually ended up with Rex.

As for "Major Mudd" at the old WNAC now WHDH, several Quads (b/w and color) of this show did exist as of 5 or 6 years ago, despite what you've heard. To the best of my knowledge, I don't know if they are still there. I last heard that at least some are in the hands of Ed T. McDonnell (Major Mudd's) family. I tend to believe this as his family has recently started posting clips of his show on Facebook.

Now with regards to WHDH now WCVB, my brother worked there for several years and when I asked him to inquire about "Captain Bob" and "Bozo." He stated like you said, that "Bozo" was taped at the then WHDH studios for Larry Harmon Productions. Several dupe color tapes did still exist at Ch.5 as of 2 years ago (before my brother left WCVB) but I don't know of their current status, number or condition. My brother also found out that a decent number of "Captain Bob" Quad 2's from the early to mid 70's existed. Not sure of the number or amount and as you said, they were still being aired, early on weekend mornings in the mid 90's, on WCVB and still looking great.

IMHO...for a local station to have more than one complete children's show from that era, is a surprizing amount, considering the rampant wiping that was done by locals.

WOW we're really off topic here...lol.

DeWilson and Ron1973 like this.
  12. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    walter winchell show

block made 2 comments to a fairly large guy about diet and eating

i didnt like it

13. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    12-14-52 show

block went over to the moderator desk while john and the girl was having a conference

he acted like he was gonna kiss her, but it was obvious that he really wasnt

i did not notice any anger from daly, but block hasnt been back since

and youtube has had all the next episodes

there was no mention of why he was not there, like they usually do for the panelists (when they are on vacation or out of town, etc.)

robert q lewis took his place 2-3 times. and now steve allen just sat there. cerf is still in the 2nd seat.

i recall someone saying he was suspended once, so no doubt this is what he was suspended for

14. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    i was still on the 1950-54 shows, when half of them just became private videos, so i guess i wont be watching what's my line any more !!

15. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    The WML YouTube page is under attack by Fremantle International. They have been blocking many episodes that they claim they have the rights to. The owner of the site has temporarily made many of the unblocked episodes private.

For more information and updates, join the Facebook page.

Vahan_Nisanain likes this.
  16. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    thanks for the update

17. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    these past quite a few episodes have been with dorothy, steve allen, arlene and bennett

these 4 are all very good panelists, and all 4 have their own nice mix of humor

i guess fred allen doesnt come until somewhat later

i will continue to watch if at a later date, the owner is able to regain ownership rights

it has been a fun show to watch

18. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    Words alone cannot describe the outrage.

Just months and months ago, Fremantle clearly stated that they were perfectly okay with us posting episodes on YT. Now all of a sudden, they do a complete 180 and stab us in the back like that.

Total hypocrisy. What? I'm supposed to say it's not?

19. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

jimmy
    hi vahan,

are you the owner of the site ?

from your post, it sounds like fremantle does indeed have ownership rights ?

20. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    No, I'm not.