Blindspot Season 4 Episode 1 | Madam Secretary | Monument Builder: Notre Dame Building Farm
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WKRP In Cincinnati: The Complete Series Review (See Posts #218 & 356 for Info)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brian Himes, Oct 4, 2014.

1. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Second Unit

Yeah... the joke was that Venus was clueless what was going on and freaked out by Carlson's choice of music... the double meaning of "thank heaven for little girls." The joke flops with a different song.

IIRC this song replacement happened very early, even in the original re-runs, right? Maybe the rights holders to the Gigi song didn't like it being used to suggest pedophilia and made them change it.

2. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Yes, removing the song Thank Heaven For Little Girls is one of the very earliest music replacements. This happened when the series first went into syndication. It was also at this time that some of the Rolling Stones songs were also replaced. The Beatles songs might have lasted for the first couple of years in syndication, I can't remember. However, The Beatles and Hendrix were the next in line to go if they didn't get replaced along with the few others mentioned above.

3. johnnyelectron

Johnny Fever
    Didn't they (MTM) get a cheaper music royalty rate because they recorded the shows on videotape instead of 'film'?

4. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Supposedly.

They took advantage of a loophole that was mostly used for videotaped variety shows and the like. Who knew it would be a major pain in the ass 30 years down the road?

MatthewA likes this.
  5. Hasslein

Hasslein Second Unit

Jim
    But that is what the movie Gigi is about.....

6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Exactly. When I saw the film the song changed meaning completely. I was totally surprised.

Hasslein likes this.
  7. AndrewCrossett

The movie Gigi was about a May-September romance, but not about pedophilia. Leslie Caron was 26 years old when she filmed that movie, and her character was of marriageable age.

8. Hasslein

Hasslein Second Unit

Jim
    It doesn't matter how old the actress was, the character was of an inappropriate age.

9. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Before considering the age appropriateness of the Gigi character, at least two things are important here:

1. European mores have always been much different and more liberal than that of North America's.
    2. The time frame is at the dawn of the 20th Century. Much of what is (understandably) no longer considered acceptable today, was very much accepted 50 years, never mind 100 plus years ago! Just look at Elvis and Priscilla Presley's "courtship", for instance!

Yes, in today's context, you are quite correct, but I feel it's also important to try and put things in the context of the era and the culture in question.

CHEERS! :)

Suzanne.S, LeoA, Hasslein and 2 others like this.
  10. dietcola

dietcola Extra

les nessman
    looks like i'm going through these again; last time was my month-long examination of 'shout vs. syndication' back in january '15. just gifted season one to a (young) WKRP newcomer and so i watched the first year to refresh my memory, in case discussion ensued.

there are good moments all throughout, but what would you folks pick as the best first season episode? personally, i think i have it narrowed to four: les on a ledge, turkeys away (which kinda feels like it has to be here), who is gordon simms? and, the one i'm leaning to most right now: a date with jennifer. that last has a top-tier, well constructed herb-jennifer-les bit, the classic "hot-blooded"/macho sequence, and the first bullpen scene, including les' imaginary walls. big laughs!

Flashgear likes this.
  11. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    It's a tie between 'A Commercial Break' and 'Turkey's Away' for me.

dietcola and Flashgear like this.
  12. AndrewCrossett

The first dozen shows are all classics, except maybe the clip show. And all of season 1 was strong.

"Hoodlum Rock" might have been my favorite if Scum of the Earth had played anything resembling punk rock. "Bailey's Show" was great. "Turkeys Away" was deservedly famous but it's become so familiar now it's like Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First?" or Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch... the impact blunted by familiarity.

I really enjoyed "I Do, I Do... For Now" with Hoyt Axton as Jennifer's jilted fiance.

dietcola and Flashgear like this.
  13. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    I’d include “A Fish Story” in any top episode discussion, that one is chock-full of laughs!

dietcola, Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.
  14. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    A short clip about making "A Fish Story"

Flashgear and Jeff*H like this.
  15. Message #895 of 897 Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    That's funny to me that the rival station was called WPIG on multiple levels. One is because there's a marathon in Cincinnati called the Pig; I ran it on May 1, 2011, the day after my cousin's wedding there. Two, there actually is a real-life classic rock station near me in Santa Cruz, CA called KPIG. There is a real WPIG: a country station in Olean, NY!

IMO, the show of this era that got the closest to that sensibility was a UK show: The Young Ones.

Tony Bensley and Flashgear like this.
  16. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    WKRP was a DVD set that I was most anxious for - I just looked this up and I can't believe the Shout! edition was released FOUR years ago. I have enjoyed it so much. There were a few episodes I had never seen before and it was a wonderful discovery and re-visitation watching the complete series DVD set. This show is very special to me.

Tony Bensley, dietcola, LeoA and 2 others like this.
  17. Message #897 of 897 Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    dietcola

dietcola Extra

les nessman
    yeah. this one always bothers me. hardcore may have been a year and a half or so away, but the punk scene was in full-swing by '78. for a series praised by industry insiders for getting so many details right, they dropped the ball here. even though scum does reject the label during their radio interview, they are standard late '70s hard-rock, nowhere remotely close to punk. i don't expect a mainstream show to get this kind of thing right, but even CPO SHARKEY featured the dickies in the same year!

good one. made me buy axton's A RUSTY OLD HALO.

interesting choices, all... besides turkeys away, no repeats!