The Return Of Superman Ep.241 | Bañeros 2: La Playa Loca | Psiphon Pro hack
  1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Your current GAS list?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I don't know what Sam is talking about, but you can totally use that flash. At the minimum you need a wired connection, but much better to use a wireless trigger. Some of those are very expensive, but there are pretty cheap ones too that work great. I have one I'm very happy with, but I'll need to look it up. There are ones that also take advantage of your Canon's E-TTL, but I'm mot sure how reliable that is with this use.

If you want to dive into it more, Yongnuo has some really awesome flash gear. With the more basic ones, you can trigger and adjust the output of multiple flashes from the camera, and I think they now also have ones that incorporate E-TTL.

One problem is, I had to laugh at the comment in that video that two speedlights are "almost as powerful as studio strobes." Not... even... close. Competing with daylight with these little portable setups won't be easy. So don't expect to do miracles. Functionally, there is nothing different about those MagBox items than a dozen other kinds available. They've just designed them to be smoother to work with. And they do look like they're nicely designed, but as far as what they can do, they are not remotely anything new.

2. JohnRice

John
    BTW, you can add a PC to your flash for about $3. You'll need one on the camera as well, another $3. Then a cable to connect them, but the wireless trigger I have didn't cost all that much.

EDIT: HERE is the Canon version of the wireless flash trigger I have. Works great for $30. If you did a multiple flash setup, you'd need more than two units. On Nikon it also can be used as a wireless shutter release. It's never failed to work for me.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I have the YN 602 and they have worked well for my limited uses. I may upgrade though, because I like the dual purpose receive/transmit capability vs. having a designated transmitter and designated receiver.

If you really want/need to go the wired route, these adapters are handy just to provide a more robust and more readily available connection and cable than the PC sync cord. http://a.co/cNzLZdI

4. JohnRice

John
    Yeah, if you go PC, I highly recommend threaded connectors, like the one Cameron linked. Make sure the cable is threaded as well.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Tell me if there's a reason why I should want to go PC rather than wireless, because wireless sure seems like the best way to go.

The devices that John linked-to look terrific. But there's some question based on the (always frustrating) Amazon "Q & As" if they work with the Canon EOS Rebel XS. I'll do some more research to see if they'll work with my camera (right now I'm leaning towards a "yes.").

So if I want to shoot using my camera and two flash units...I would need two sets of two of those devices, plus two flash stands and maybe some umbrellas and/or those cool "mag" softbox set-ups. Is that right?

6. JohnRice

John
    Mike, keep in mind that you'll probably use the flashes in manual. I admit I haven't tried it, but I'm skeptical about how well TTL will work in those situations. So, you have to adjust the output of the flash from the flash, which is where the Yongnuo system comes in, because you get a controller that triggers and adjusts the output of the flashes from the camera. Their big speedlights are only $60 for the full manual ones, and I think the ones that also have TTL are about $80.

There's a possibility your camera might not close the basic flash connection on the hot shoe if it doesn't sense a flash being used, but I kind of doubt it. Still, it is possible, which would mean this stuff might not all work.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks to you all for the input. I'll be doing some research.

I've been wanting to suss out this flash situation for a while and those "Mag" gizmos might get me started thinking seriously about it.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    OK, I should have been way more clear above. I answered the question correctly but didn't handle the -intent-.

Your flash does not have a PC sync trigger built in. as others have noted you can add that via a shoe mount, you can add on wireless adapters, you can even make it work in response to other flashes going off. I don't have the Yongnuos so you are on your own there.

If you go the wireless route, I recommend Pocket Wizards. They are expensive because they are worth it. They are just triggers tho, they do not set flash output. I prefer that.

I have no idea what camera you have so no idea if it has a pc sync port.

Anyway, it's a whole rabbit hole from there.

My own new GAS item:
    http://philipbloom.net/blog/djironin-s/

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hey, Mike.

Did you ever figure out your flash situation?

I have an old Canon 420ex ETTL speedlight that's been collecting dust -- only used it for a couple years back before I switched from an old Canon Powershot G3 to Nikon DSLRs (starting w/ the D70). It's probably a bit lower powered (w/ guide number at 138?) than your Opteka EF600DG, but it should be wirelessly triggerable (as slave flash) by Canon compatible triggers AFAIK.

I'd gladly give it to you for free if you want -- and I can include a matching Stofen Omnibounce I think. Not sure though if it'll be useful for what you're looking to do, especially since I have no easy way to test out all its functionalities now -- I can probably only test fire it manually at full power since I no longer have any other Canon stuff.

Let me know if interested.

_Man_

JohnRice likes this.
  10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

You've got PM, Man!